FSX Flatten Problem

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
ajweber

FSX Flatten Problem

Post by ajweber » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm trying to redo scenery that was lost due to computer problems, and I'm haveing a problem re-flattening the terrain. I want to bring the entire area "down" to a new alttitude of 15ft. I created a flatten poly in SbuilderX to the appropriate hieght, but there are area's inside of the poly that don't flatten!! I tried creating another flatten poly inside of the first, and that doesn't work. I tried all of the Airport flatten settings, but I cannot get the raised area's to flatten. Can anyone help?

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:02 am

Hi,

Surely there is something that is trying to make the other altitude and is wining! You need to check! Is it some BGL? May be you need to disable/enable BGLs until you discover the ONE. Then it will be easier to think of a remedy!

Sorry for this lack of ideas. May be someone can be more specific!

Regards,

Luis

José

Post by José » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:24 am

Hi,

You are trying to modify an área inside a big airport (KSAN - San Diego Intl), which should have an flatten area associated to.

Detail:

I don't understand what you want to modify, but if is something associated with terrain altitude, certainly you should modify the default flatten, and that is not recommended to do.

Regards,

José

J.F.Lôbo

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 pm

This is probably not a problem with flattens at all.

Please remember that the airport file itself has elevation information - the runways, airport reference point, and start points have altitudes associated with them. And these elevation values will modify the underlying terrain, raising or lowering it as required.

You can change the flatten from the default elevation value, but you cannot change the airport elevation value very easily.

Why? Because while you can delete runways, taxiways, etc., you cannot delete the airport elevation. And Flight Simulator will always read the default airport file and retain its elevation no matter what other bgls are loaded later.

An easy solution is Jacky Brouze's JABBgl program that will modify the airport file's elevation to the new value you desire. This solution is only valid for FS 9.

Or you could avoid the problem by not changing the airport elevation.

Probably few people have noticed this problem because not many of us are changing an airport's elevation.

Best regards.

Luis

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey guys,

The reason for the elevation change is unique. Attached to the Naval Air Station, are aircraft carrier docks to the North East on the bay. In order to build decent scenery that covers both area's with out the difference in alttitude affecting some parts of the airport immediately conected to the carrier docks, I figure it's best to just make the airfield the same alttitude as the carrier docks,.

AJ