Help my floating Runways

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
paulganter

Help my floating Runways

Post by paulganter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:28 am

Hello

To all the scenery designers who have worked so hard to produce the tools for developing and making the flight simulations a more rewarding experience for us, Thank You.

I have used SBuilder to create the polygons I need to create an old airfield into the correct latlon area in FSX. I then used SDETestApp. to place the runways onto the area. It all looks ok, except that when placing an aircraft onto the runway, they are submerged - almost as if there is water on the runways. Move the aircraft of the runway and they are on top of the ground, the way they should be. It is only on the runways that this problem occurs.

If I remove the runways - All is fine.
Perhaps someone could help me with this problem.

Cheers for now

Paul Ganter

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Hello Paul,

Please check that all elevations in your airport file (reference point, runways, start points) concord with each other and with the flatten elevation.

Best regards.

Luis

paulganter

Post by paulganter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello Luis

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, my Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutogen & Landclass_Poly_Grass are set to 85m as well as runway & start positions, which are marked grass runways, but the problem is the same. I have left the FSX version of FAPA where it is.

This might have something to do with the FSX airfield (FAPA) being set to 83.82m or having two FAPA's in the same area. Maybe I could try to rename mine to something else.

Regards
Paul

meshman

Post by meshman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Are you trying to replace the default airport or create a new field close by? Since the airport code is already in use, FSX will read the elevation for the default location and flattens or a new "AFCAD-like" facility will not replace that.

If you're trying to replace the field and it's at a different elevation than the default there is a way to work around that.

paulganter

Post by paulganter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Hello Meshman

Yes, I'm trying to replace the default airfield by replacing it with a new, corrected one, which is nearby. I don't know exactly how, but I thought I'd put the new airport in the correct place with the correct number of runways first, then worry about the default one - maybe not such a good idea?

I'd be most grateful for any help that I receive.

Regards

Paul

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Hello Paul,

You could solve this problem by setting all your new scenery elements - terrain and airport - to the default elevation of 83.82 meters.

Otherwise, FS will always read the default elevation from the APX file and modify your new terrain accordingly. In addition, since the default elevation is lower than your new scenery, your airplanes will display sunk into the ground.

There is a way around this - make a new APX file for that airport with only the reference information, runway and start point elevations, and place it below the default APX. Then, FS will read that file first and use its elevation of 85 meters.

Best regards.

Luis

paulganter

Post by paulganter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Hello Luis,

Yes, that makes sense. I will try the first method and if no luck with that I'll try your second method. It does not really make that much difference whether the airport is 85m or 83.82m.

Thanks very much, I'll report back as soon as it works.

Best Regards

Paul

paulganter

Post by paulganter » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Hello Luis

All elevation points on my new scenery files are set to the default airport and it works just fine. Thank you.

Regards

Paul