Sbuilder Q

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Dave D

Sbuilder Q

Post by Dave D » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Can anyone tell me what "runtime error '9' subscript out of range"

I get this when I try to open append VTP bgl file AB940180.bgl
others open no problem and I noticed that all the bgl files are not on the list.

I followed a tutorial on how to install correctly(?) and was able to register the program. sb205, sb205rev01, sb205objects, sb205rev06.

One thing I also noticed is that I'm not able to compile BLG.

Please let me know; simple fix or if I have to reinstall.

Thanks,
Dave

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Hello Dave,

seing that you didn't get any expert answers yet, I try to help by letting you participate a bit in my own painful beginners experience [V] which I had to go through in the last two weeks.

1. I think your installation itself can't be so wrong - SBuilder does most of it automatically and well. One thing you might have to control is if you have SCASM (the current version should be 2.96) in your "SBuilder\Tools" Folder. The missing of SCASM might be one reason that you don't get any BGLs. You can find SCASM easily on the internet, e.g. AVSIM, or you just google for it.
2. Another reason for not getting BGLs might be if you didn't make a selection before compiling. First choose "Select All" (or at least the items you want to have a BGL for) from the "Select" menu, and then start the compile process. SBuilder only compiles the selected items into BGLs, which can be very helpful during the ongoing process!
3. Something I still stumble over, but I don't know if it might be part of your problem, is the decimal separator. For the compile process SBuilder (i.e. one of the compile tools it uses) mandatorily needs the "." as a decimal separator. So, in case your country settings are like "1.000,00" for onethousand like we have it in Europe (in case you use the French settings!), change the international system settings to (e.g.) US-System before compiling! You didn't mention the relevant error messages yet, but in case they show up during the compile process then you know the problem already... [;)] BTW, for my own use I made two small REG-files to switch the international settings forth and back without having to go through the system control all the time - if you can use them let me know.

The "runtime error" thing I tried to replicate but on my system the AB940180.bgl opens just fine. Are you sure you're choosing it from the right directory (supposed to be '(FS9-path)\scenery\eurw\scenery')? From this question you see that I didn't quite understand what you mean with '... that all the bgl files are not on the list'. The error usually occurs when you try to open a file which isn't available (e.g. in the actual directory)... it doesn't have to do with SBuilder installation at all.

Good luck, enjoy SBuilder (despite not having mastered my first scenery I'm a fan already [:D]) and let me know if you could make it forward!

Regards from Munich, Germany
Mick

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks Mike for helping. I could not help better!

Luis

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 am

Luis, thanks for the compliment - at that level I gathered my own painful experience so I'll help whereever I can. As you saw in my other posts I'm hanging at different steps of understanding...

In case you want to use the REGs I mentioned for one of your next revisions (let's call it the "international version [;)]"), I put the contents in the following. I think it would be simple to change these few registry entries by code before the compile process, and switch back afterwards... and it would help many (esp. European) users to avoid unnecessary frustration. BTW it's annoying to switch it all the time, since for its own startup SB needs the standard configuration (otherwise brings up a runtime error 6 - overflow).

Here's my simple workaround:

a) Switch to the needed configuration:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"sDecimal"="."
"sList"=","
"sThousand"=","

b) ...and switch back to German (in my case):
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"sDecimal"=","
"sList"=";"
"sThousand"="."

I put these two REG-files on my desktop and doubleclick the relevant one before and after the compile run (AND before/after exporting to Polish format, too!). All the other settings can remain untouched, so if you want to automate this within the code it wouldn't be a lot of work for testing or so...

Now let's see if I could help Dave here. As I wrote I'm a fan of your great tool SB already, and it's a bit sad for me facing (or seing others stumble about) hurdles that don't even have to do with the design process itself.

Have a nice and beautiful day,
kind regards
Mick