Mesh under LWM

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
bendakar

Mesh under LWM

Post by bendakar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 am

Hello all

I'm creating a scenery near ocean with Sbuilder for FSF9.

1) Excluded the hold shoreline
2) Created the new shoreline
3) Put land class on "land" along the coast verifiing the four vertexes of each lod 13 were switched on "land".
4) Put LWM water mask on the right of the coast and LWM land mask on the left.

Well, everything seems fine.

I've also declared in my scenery.cfg a mesh with high priority. This mesh works very fine with the same scenery in FSX.

But in my FS9 scenery the mesh does not appear on the left of the coast where the default scenery was water (all the land masks put at alt -9999).

I've read some old posts about this, and i think i understood that there was no way for this but modifiing the default HPxxxx.bgl, creating a Sbuilder mesh. Also someone tried to export BLN, reimport...(this did'nt match for me).

Did anyone find another way for this?

Thanks for this forum, particular thanks for Luis.
Regards.
Clt
Benji

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:46 pm

Hello,

I think that I understand your problem. The problem is that you have created an exclude for the default water LWM polygons that were defining the coastline. But the exclude does not remove any flatten that may be associated to the LWM masks that you want to exclude. In other other words: the water mask is removed but the mesh is not modified!

The only way is to edited the original HP file. By doing that you do not need any exclude. You work directly on the original file and modify it as you wish.

But note that if you are publishing your work you may be in trouble by creating a source for conflicts with other sceneries.

Regards,

Luis

bendakar

Post by bendakar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:40 am

Hello, Luis!

Thanks for awnser.

Problem solved.

Modified the original HP file, by, like indicated in a Avsim's post (rumbaflappy I think...):
1)décompiling the HPxxxx.blg file in .asm file
2) midifiing this .asm with Cfs2conv2 (the sea flatten goes away)
3)recompiling the file with bglc (for FS2002).

However, all the water of the LOD 8 follows now the mesh, and I have to reput LWM water mask altitude 0 on this all zone.

I don't think publishing the scene could be a problem cause I think I'm the first and alone in the meantime. The crators for that country are very scarse !! I'm working with the one existing. Hope this will change in the future.

Many thanks

Clt
Benji

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:41 pm

Hello,

OK! You could also open (= append to an empty project) the HP**** file. Then you could remove (or modify the properties of) the offending LWM polygons.

Regards,

Luis

bendakar

Post by bendakar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm

I've tried that, but I obtained at least 3 bgl: 1 for LC, 1 for LWM2 and for LWM3.

Tried to put these bgl in my scenery folders and rename the basic bgl...

The result was...psychedelic!!!

Is there a way to have one bgl with this method?

I will go on like this trying to "remesh" the water.

Thanks Luis

jtanabodee

Post by jtanabodee » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi Luis and Bendaka
I'm new for scenery design but trying to move default airport to the correct site in the real world. I'm interesting in your comment about modified HP.*** file. How do you know that which one is for that area you are working at and which program to modified.
I'm modified VTBT airport, Chonburi Thailand. The airport is near the mountain and the default one make a big hole. I tried to filled that gap with LWM and never get result. Please help me? here is the photo.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:23 am

Hello,

Please check this part in the Help file.

Kind Regards, Luis

Append - LWM BGL
In order to append a LWM BGL file to a project you only need to point to the filename and the folder where it is located. The specified BGL file must contain valid LWM data. You can either append files produced by you (with SBuilder or other) or default LWM BGL files. Default LWM files for Western Europe, for example, are located in the folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Eurw\Scenery

Different regions of the world will be located in different folders like \Eure\ for Eastern Europe, \Afri\ for Africa, \Name\ for North America (East part) and so on.

Inside these folders you have several files. The following files are LWM files:

FL9XXYY0.BGL - these files refer to flatten polygons
HP9XXYY0.BGL - these files refer to hydro polygons (and/or hydro area fills)
All LWM files cover a complete LOD5 square. The XX and YY appearing in the filename refer to the X and Y coordinates of the LOD5 square to which the file refers to. In order to know which file applies for a given location you look to the LOD5 coordinates that appear in the status bar when you have the mouse in the desired position. In the south of Portugal, for example, the satusus bar shows LOD5 45 18. Therefore if you want to load the hydro LWM data for that region you look for the file HP945180.BGL. Note that there is a leading 9 and a trailing 0 in the sequence of digits that define the location.

You should be aware of the problems that you may cause if you distribute a replacement file for a complete LOD5 square. If several designers make modifications to the same area there will be incompatibility problems. Therefore it is best that you distribute files that can be used at the same time as the default files. Unfortunately there is a pair of situations where you may need to alter the complete LOD5. Consider the problem of remaking a simple lake that exists on some continental area. Let us assume that the lake is contained in a single Area (LOD13 square) and that there is nothing in that Area beyond that lake. You could make a small project where could place an AreaFill 1x1 of type equal to land. This AreaFill would simply switch the mask to land instructing FS to take the ground texture from the land layer. That would remove the water lake from the Area. Then you would place the new lake with its elevation. Apparently this is simple, but the problem is that you can not remove the altitude of the original lake. The AreaFill applied to the area only removes the "texture" part of the lake. The original altitude remains. If that remaining altitude bothers you, the only thing that you can do is to edit directly the original HYP9XXYY0.BGL file. See more on this in the next section.

jtanabodee

Post by jtanabodee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi Luis,
I really appreciate you reply. I got what you explain and I did review some topics about this. I think what I need to do is to modify the FL*** file for VTBT or delete it. I delete all the information about VTBT in AP97420 file and new AFCAD worked perfectly. Here are some questions
1. Do I need to delete all informations of VTBT in FL97420.bgl ?to let the mesh for this area to work. I did decomply the file already but have no idea what to do with all the texts there. I know about the cell and the informations about the elevation devided by 128 m. but I don't know how to make that area follow the mesh. Do I need to specify each point by hand?
2. I did make a new coastline nearby but it is flat. It refuse to take height from Mesh. I decomplied HP97420 file already but have no idea to let new LWM take height from Mesh. There are some mountains near the sea on the new LWM but they are still flat. Do I need to what Bendakar do?
Best Regards,
Jtanabodee

bendakar

Post by bendakar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 am

Hello!

What solution I finaly applied:

Airport flatten:

I modified the FLxxxxxx.bgl by appending it in Sbuilder, renamed the bgl obtained in FLxxxxxx_mod.bgl, and the old bgl in .bgg.

Hydropoly bgl:

I decompiled the corresponding HPxxxxxx.bgl, deleted the cell paragraph (lod 8 I think), compiled and named it HPxxxxxx_mod.bgl, and off course renamed the original bgl in .bgg.

Now, I was able to create my LWM water polys in Sbuilder.

Clt
Benji

jtanabodee

Post by jtanabodee » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi Bendakar,
I just did that today too. It works just fine and the LWM take mesh already. The moutains nearby coastline show their peaks and the FL file I did the same thing today and here is the result
At first I didn't know what append mean so I look up in help file of S-builder and find the way to do that.
Thanks a lot,
jtanabodee