Help: How to lower terrain to make an underpass

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
MarcPaquette

Help: How to lower terrain to make an underpass

Post by MarcPaquette » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi with Sbuilder for FS9, I want to put overpasses and underpasses on highways. Overpasses are easy since you just put an object that goes over a road. My problem is for underpasses. How do I modify the mesh to make my road go 12 feet lower to go pass under a small bridge that stays level to the ground (the bridge being a flat object). Basically I need to make the opposite of a small hill, which I don't know how to do. I will also want to make it for FSX with SBX.

Thanks!

slox

Post by slox » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:36 am

I don't think You'll be able to achieve Your goal by only modifying mesh. Even with mesh resolution of 10 meters (in case You have it for Your area)I do not seriously think it is possible. But there is another relatively simple solution, that might work:

At the point where You'd like to make a road level crossing (by means of over and under-passes) raise the terrain slightly in some sort of elliptic shape and this should simulate a little hill where you can put an overpass bridge, that will span the gap that I'd make by means of sloped flatten polys. You can extend this further and make a model of your crossing with both over and under-pass objects and surfaces you can shape and texture at will and then again by means of flatten polys make necessary adjustments to "connect" the roads to it.