GMaps calibration for FS9 (off by 50m)

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
hidrocan

GMaps calibration for FS9 (off by 50m)

Post by hidrocan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Good day,

I recently restarted working with SBuilder for FS9 after almost a year hiatus.

Back then I didn't know the GMaps tool existed and I think it is wonderful.

However, I am having a little problem. The image I get from GMaps tool is almost correct but it is not perfect, for example, i can place the plane at one end of the runway and will display correctly over the map but if I move it to the other end of the runway it will be off the runway in the map by some 50 meters.

I've tried many different ways and programs to get and crop the image but it still is off by some meters. It is not only off but also distorted because the offset gets bigger with distance.

Is the GMap tool not giving accurate results anymore? What can I change? Is there other method to get accurate calibrated reference maps?

Thank you!

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 am

Hello,

Please take a piece of paper and in the gmaps site place the cursor on one end of the runway and write down lat and lon. Repeat for the other end. Repeat both cases but now in FS.

If the readings are the same then there is obvious an error in calibration. If they are different, please consider that MS placed the runway in a wrong location/orientation. Is it a big airport or a small airfield? My previous experience is that some airfields are not 100% precisely placed.

Kind Regards,

Luis Sá

hidrocan

Post by hidrocan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:15 am

Thank you very much Luis,

I think you might be right even though the scenery I'm comparing is a payware.

This is an small airport in Mexico (MMCE) which is in an island. There's a city in that island which doesn't show in the payware scenery and that's why I'm using SBuilder.

I'll be back and post my findings.