How To Make an Island

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Jeff

How To Make an Island

Post by Jeff » Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 pm

Ola Luis,
I have just sent you an email for some clarification on a few points for the Tutorial on building an Island for new scenery designers.

It will be in PDF format as i feel this will be the best method for users that wish to download the Tutorial as it is a common format.

The final draft is about finished and will feature plenty of screen shots as a visual aid.

If i can get help from my amigo here in Australia i will try to have it translated into Portuguese so you will allso have a Portuguese and English version.

Best regards: Jeff

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 06, 2004 12:38 am

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for the tutorial. In the Help menu of SBuilder there is an entry - How to make an Island.

When you press it, nothing happens because the file called island.htm is missing in the HTML folder of SBuilder.

I will relocate images from HTML folder to a subfolder to be called MAIN. If your images are in a subfolder, the user could read the tutorial from SBuilder. Do you think it worths the extra work to set up this scheme?

You could upload your tutorial to any site and it would also be possible to include it with SBuilder.

Regards, Luis

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu May 06, 2004 7:58 am

Ola Luis, once the final draft is completed and approved, it will now be available as a PDF and HTML. Allso there will be an English and Portuguese version.

rgds:Jeff

bpahe

Post by bpahe » Fri May 14, 2004 4:05 am

Hi!

Thanks for SceneryBuilder, it seems to have a lot of potential! However, is there any news on this tutorial? I have successfully placed an image (photo), as a map I think, but no matter what I select, or mark with polygons etc., the BGL-options are all blanked out. Trying to create phototiles - well, there is a map but I just dont understand "there is no photo map under this tile! Insert a map and click on it"? Frankly, I just don´t get the hang of it! [;)] I´ve spent 2 evenings scratching my head, and I think it is something obvious I´m missing, but what?

Any small hint is most welcome!

Thanks for what I think will be a great tool, SBuilder!

/hans

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sat May 15, 2004 11:25 pm

Hello Hans
The tutorial for making an Island is allmaost completed, it will cover the basic setup of SBuilder, How to create a background image and scale the image to size, allso how to create an island where the Primary surface mask is water and allso where it is land . I hope to have the final completed on 16 May for approval by Luis. This will be a PDF file that will reside in the HTML Folder of SBuilder and is designed for users who have never used SBuilder or similar programs before.

Rgds Jeff

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 16, 2004 6:23 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bpahe</i>
<br />Hi!

Thanks for SceneryBuilder, it seems to have a lot of potential! However, is there any news on this tutorial? I have successfully placed an image (photo), as a map I think, but no matter what I select, or mark with polygons etc., the BGL-options are all blanked out. Trying to create phototiles - well, there is a map but I just dont understand "there is no photo map under this tile! Insert a map and click on it"? Frankly, I just don´t get the hang of it! [;)] I´ve spent 2 evenings scratching my head, and I think it is something obvious I´m missing, but what?

Any small hint is most welcome!

Thanks for what I think will be a great tool, SBuilder!

/hans
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Hans,

You need to check the working of "SELECT". Items in SBuilder such us polygons, lines, maps, tiles, ... can have 1 out of 2 states: SELECTED or UNSELECTED (they change color when selected). The BGL generation tool only looks for selected items.

For photoscenery you need a map spanning the LOD13 areas that you want. So you need to place a map first and calibrate it next. Then I suggest that you change display to show Grid 13. Then you are ready to place the phototiles. But if you click on a square that is not completely covered by the underlaying map, you get the message you refer to. Before BGL generation you need to SELECT the phototiles!

Also note the following case: you place a map, calibrate it, and place some tiles. Then say that something is wrong and the map is deleted (or moved!). Then there would be some phototiles that had no map underneath. That is impossible (how could you generate the phototile if the map is missing?). So there is the CheckPhotos command. When you press it SBuilder checks if all phototiles have maps underneath. You can test this: place a map, place tiles, move map (select it and drag it) so that the tiles do not have any more a father map. Then press ChecPhotos. You will see that the orphan tiles will be deleted. CheckPhotos is the first thing that Sbuilder does when you do photo BGL generation.

Regards, Luis

bpahe

Post by bpahe » Tue May 18, 2004 4:50 am

Hi Luis!

A big thanks for the input! As you perhaps have seen elswhere, the problem was all my fault - I used a photo that did not cover enough of the tiles - hence the inability to export. As a (previous?) user of TerraBuilder Lite I should have known better... [;)]

I want to extend my uttermost thanks for SBuilder to you. I´m learning more every time I use it - btw. why do I have to work tomorrow? - and so far I´m quite impressed. Actually, what I like most is that the program is stable, no crashes so far!

Kind Regards

/hans

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue May 18, 2004 5:17 am

Hi,

Thank for the encouragment! About the crashes please do not expect too much!

Regards, Luis