Making Photoreal Scenery

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
MOUSY

Making Photoreal Scenery

Post by MOUSY » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi all. I have been venturing into creating photo scenery for FS9 and do not know much, but after much reading online and trying different tutorials and programs, I'm stuck and need help. This is what I've done so far.

I have obtained a 1600x1200 Google Earth photo of Roseau, Dominica using http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps.htm (quite useful).

After changing the resolution to 800x600 to obtain the required 4m/pixel resolution, inserting the photo into SBuilder and calibrating the map using the co-ordinates provided, I proceeded to select the required phototiles (just one for now) to compile into scenery. I've tried both VTP and High. Res. Photo Scenery, but after following step by step this little tutorial
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showth ... photo+scen...
and inserting my compiled scenery into the FS9 scenery library, nothing shows up at the specified coordinates.

I have posted on various other forums on this matter (including fsdeveloper.com and the Simviation forums) and no one can seem to help. So now I've been pointed straight to the source. I would apprecaite some guidance. If not, I would also appreciate any guidance with any other tool to use my maps to build photo scenery. Thanks in advance.

Luis Sa

Re: Making Photoreal Scenery

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Hello,

There has been some years that I do not try to make photo scenery. I suggest that you focus your effort in one type of scenery. Start with VTP and then pass to the other type. The first thing I would do is to see if the proper files are generated and if they go to the folders where they are supposed to go. You say there is only one tile and that would be simple to check. The other thing is to analyse the BGL file with TMFViewer and see if the BGL file has the reference to the tile filename.

I think there is a very small step that you may have miss. For example: did you check that the SCENERY folder where the BGL file that you are generating (confirm this with the date and time stamp of the file) has no sister TEXTURE folder? And can you see your tile on the default texture folder?

Regards,

Luis

MOUSY

Post by MOUSY » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for the quick offer of help Luis. I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

I have noticed that SB creates .scm files instead of .bgls. Do .scm files work the same? They can't be vied in the TMFviewer.

However I have used Photo Scenery Maker to successfully create bgl files.
I've checked that the required files are in the right place: .bgl file in a scenery folder, .bmp and .tga files in the texture folder. I have added the scenery to the FS library.

Secondly I have checked the .bgl from Photo Scenery Maker in TMFviewer and only a large yellow rectangle shows up. What does that mean?

Also, how can i check that the bgl is referencing the right texture using TMFviewer?

MOUSY

Post by MOUSY » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:02 am

I feel so stupid right now Luis. I have found my error. :oops:

In my effort to determine whether I was using an updated version of SB I found that I had not even finished the installation by getting SCASM.EXE like the help says, therefore I was obtaining .scm files and no bgls. :oops:

Thank you for your time though. My scenery is being displayed now. :mrgreen:

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:12 am

Hello,

All is well when it ends well! :D

Luis

fl220

Post by fl220 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 pm

Hello,

I need your help. And I ask if you could spare your precious time to consider my request.
I am trying to create airport background photoscenery of FZAA airport , for FS2004.

I have used FS Earth Tiles to download image background . But I am using Sbuilder for FS2004 to create the tiles.
However, I am getting errors when using Sbuilder and each time when I try to start FS2004.

See attached pdf file to find errors I am getting, on pages: 1, 2,
is the selection correct on pages 3 and 5?
see page 7, for error when starting FS2004

I would like to know what I am doing wrong and what I should do to avoid these errors

Thank you for your time and consideration,
FL220
Attachments
SBuilder_ error).pdf
(890.6 KiB) Downloaded 789 times