Polygon Elevations?

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
boleyd

Polygon Elevations?

Post by boleyd » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:49 am

When importing a large number of water elements from ESRI (MP) all of the elements are set to an elevation zero/nil (sea level). Is there a way to "link" the polygons so that I can set just one to -9999(follow mesh) and have all set that way. I believe that Join requires them to be touching each other.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:06 am

Hi Dick,

See my post yesterday. You can now append polygons from a MP file. You will not bother about properties at appending time. They can turn whatever you have set in POLYS.TXT (or through the apending window).

You go to Poly mode. Select All Polys. Press SHIFT (and select one poly with the left mouse - I do not remember if you need this and I do not have Sbuilder at hand!) and right click one poly. The property window comes with the Name box disabled (Grayed). This means that the properties that you are going to set will aplly to all selected polygons.

I must correct one or more things but it is working for me. I even can make an "autocheck" for all selected polygons in one go. One thing that must be corrected is when the property window appears. As "many" polygons are in play, what properties to show? I think that you need to fill all the parameters. If, for example you want to make an overall change of the width of your roads, you need not only to specify the new width (and apply it!) but also the VTP texture and layer number, before pressing the final OK to close the window.

Regards, Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:49 am

Very good - the multiple selection allows the change of all elevations at one go.

Next wish is to be able to select all of the polgons and change them to VTP2 lines for creation of shores. The Make Line is blocked when you do the multiple selection with the poly tool. You cannot use the Line tool since these are polygons. Same reasno many lake shores need to be created from a set of LWM polygons.

Next wish is to be able to flatten each water polygon. Yes, each one will be at a different elevation but I do not want to lookup and change hundreds of elevations individually. Also, you cannot set all lakes to the same flatten elevation for obvious reasons. I cann't think of a way to make many flattens at once to show each lakes average elevation. So I expose it to the experts.

Horst

Post by Horst » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:37 am

Hallo Dick,
When you append the polygons,
use LWM Poly and set the value: altitude in meters to -9999.
Water class
All the polys will come in meshclinging!

Then you have to rework your data:
If you have only polys without extra shorelines, you have to look for outlines and join the polys. Then make line out of the polygon.

When you doing this you can change the altitude, for some lakes, having the mesh map as background.

It would be nice to have the exact altitude for every polygon in one go!
(see Avsim and Luis thread: different altitudes for one polygon! – automatic??)
I think we should use the information of the mesh map a little bit more (automatic).

But do not forget your thoughts, you wrote in this forum!
The rework is the work!
Maybe, we all can find ways, to do this a little bit more automatic.

Regards
Horst

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:55 pm

I have all of my polygon lakes set to mesh clinging(-9999). That is much better than sea level (0)[:D]. Unfortunately the lake's underlying mesh is "bumpy", i.e., not flat. I cannot think of any solution that does not require SBuilder to read the mesh file under a lake. This must be a very complex task since many of us have a variety of addon mesh sets. Even if we knew the elevation directly below the aircraft it may be wrong for the water level since a large lake will have many underlying elevations (bumps). Maybe there is a "secret database" somewhere on the web that lists the lake elevations. This seems to be the only practical approach since the mesh is so "bumpy".

vlada stoje

Post by vlada stoje » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi Dick,

the Slartibartfast http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/AutoGen/index.html by Jim Keir calculates the elevation for the LOD13 subpolygons of the lakes as the average of the elevations of the shoreline points (Holger Sandmann mentioned the used function – median – at avsim forum). It is really perfect method! SBuilder can finish this way and quickly unify the elevations for chosen LOD13 subpolygons, so the lakes are ready also for the flying boats!

Horst

Post by Horst » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:23 am

Hello,
My 2 euro cents:
(I can not use currently my main machine! A big problem for me)

I uplodaded to a german forum this screen:
http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1428225
These are only polygons!

To find the altitude, maybe not the big deal with AutoAsm and Slaribartfast!

BUT, and a big "but":
What we are doing with the shorlines???

We are producing MS design, following this way!

Regards
Horst

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:17 pm

I am chnaging the changing the LWM polygon to VTP2 lines in SBuilder. This is ok for polygons that are following mesh. I see that polygons can be changed to lines without any specification to make the VTP@ )mesh folowing). I will try that next. If this works then if Luisa can develop a way to set the "average" lake elevation the "line/shore" should follow since it has a box for elevation.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:11 pm

Hi,

In order to have lakes (in mountains) the altitude of the LWM polygon must be adjusted to the mesh. If you generated a mesh from a bitmap using the SBuilder DEM tools, you can use the ChangeColor function so that you can manually change the position of points (inserting if necessary) to follow the altitude of mesh. In order for the lake to follow the mesh set the altitude to -9999. In order to get shorebanks, "Make Lines" from polygons.~

I can add a function to find the "overall" altitude of the polygon points if, and only if, you have a "mesh bitmap" as background. The mesh background needs to be made with the DEM tools!

Regards, Luis

Horst

Post by Horst » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:14 am

Hello,

Dick, I think there was a small misunderstanding.
Sorry for my English.

Luis explained they way you can do currently.

I will explain, what will happen, when you not rework your import!
I was looking for some shots, I uploaded to the german forum.

http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1451404
This link shows the coast of croatia.
Yellow = shoreline, black = streets, blue = ocean
Thousand of kilometer yellow shoreline

http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1452263
This link shows Landsat7 Band4 for the area.
So you can use AutoAsm or Slarti doing you the coastline with the shoreline.
If you have vector data for the same area, you will use SBuilder

http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php?postid=1436610
Here is the result from a part of the coast (default landclass).
The shoreline (yellow) has always the same width and texture.
You will see it in the harbours as well.
IMO this is not nice scenery!
I will see some bays, beaches, harbours, different texture and different size of the texture. And sometimes I do not want to see a shoreline.
You have to rework these long shorelines, to get nice scenery!

The same for the mountains and lakes, rivers!
If you want a shoreline to your lakes, you have to control your imported polygons.
Sometimes you have to join the poly, or have a look for small islands inside the poly (topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=229)
Doing this, you can assign the high from the mesh map to the lake and river polygons.

http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1432167
This link shows stream lines, you can get in, in one go.
http://www.boerrieskuhn.de/Bilder/Fluesse.jpg
Shows a commercial product you can get from US.
This is the simplest way. Use the texture 1024 and width=30 and the scenery is done.
You have to decide, if you like it.
Currently I try to give me different textures to different highs for the same streamline.

For me, everything I have automatic will be nice, because I can not forget one high for one lake.
But I do not know, how long it will take Luis to develop, such an algorithm?
And, if it make sense?

Do “feed” Luis with more ideas :):

Comes from Glacier Bay Project from Holger in January:
Here the mistake:
http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1178525
(LWM and VTP are not correct)
And here sometimes interesting results:
http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1180296
http://www.wcm.at/forum/attachment.php? ... id=1180297
To randomize different textures and width, and brakes for shorelines – depending on the mesh map and the altitude information. For the coast and the mountains!

Also: to use the mesh map information for the landclass tool!

But I don not know, what is more important:
Having this or using bglcomp or XML object placing?

Sorry for the long post and thinking loud.

Kind regards
Horst

PS: I hope the links are working correct!

jgill

Post by jgill » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:10 am

Hi all,

since ESRI shape data files for lakes,rivers, etc usually contain the elevations.

Would it be possible when importing the shape of a lake, to import the elevation. The elevation can be in the LABEL field of a Polish file ?

Your program is already treating the label, in my MP files it's the name of the lake. What do you think?

thank you

Joel

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:48 pm

Joel,

Your idea is very good. The only problem is that I am completely busy in finishing my "Portugal Terrain" project. Along this project I have implemented many features into SBuilder but I have not the time to document them. I will do that when I finish that scenery.

Regarding your suggestion here is an alternative. Open the Shape File table (I would like to place here a link for a discussion on this but could not find it!) and in the Field for labels enter the altitude. Then append the Polish map and do not bother with the altitude. Just make sure that all the polygons will be appended as LWM water. Here comes the tip: export the project! Open with a text editor (MFC Word Pad is good! NotePad is bad!). You will see something like:

[Poly.1]
Name=133
Type=LWM//Water//0//
Color=16711680
NoOfPoints=7
Lat1= 40.0906372070313
Lon1=-10.5037498527102
Lat2= 40.1153564453125
Lon2=-10.4445906173385
... and so on ...

As expected the label has 133 which is not the name of the lake but its altitude in meters.

Now you can make a global "Find and Replace":

With Winword I could use:

a) Find: Type=LWM//Water//0//^p
Replace with:

this will simply replace with noting, that is, would delete all the lines with the text "Type=LWM//Water//0//"

b) Find: Name=
Replace with: Name=Some_Lake^pType=LWM//Water//

c) Find: ^pColor=16711680
Replace with=//^pColor=16711680

In the above ^p stands for "line break" using Office. Your file will look like:

[Poly.1]
Name=Some_Lake
Type=LWM//Water//133//
Color=16711680
NoOfPoints=7
Lat1= 40.0906372070313
Lon1=-10.5037498527102
Lat2= 40.1153564453125
Lon2=-10.4445906173385
... and so on ...

Then save. Then Import SBX et voilá!

Regards, Luis

Horst

Post by Horst » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Hello,
Here is the link for import to mapedit:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... &mode=full

Regards
Horst

jgill

Post by jgill » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:09 pm

Yup,

very simple (text manipulation [8D])had to think about [:o)]! Sbuilder is becoming a complete GIS system...

thank you !

Joel