Coast problem

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
bpahe

Coast problem

Post by bpahe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:27 am

(This message is also posted in the SceneryDesign forums)

Hi everyone!

I´m still having problems with my coast, however this time it is the standard FS2004 scenery that is "making a mess". The picture below is created by LWMviewer, and shows parts of my scenery (the "land part"), along with the default FS coastlines (yellow lines).
My problem lies in getting the islands to display. I´ve come to the conclusion that the light grey areas (color as in the bottom of the pic) in the picture is the main area of interest - my landfill do not display correctly over those areas, only the coastlines. Note that my "sea" is not visible here, a large watermask covers the area (LWM, watermask, meshclinging). If I add landclass to a LOD13 cell the polygon does not mask either. Do I need to create 2 separate LWM-polys surrounding each island, as the SBuilder tutorial ("how to make an island") says?

My main question here is how I should fill the light-gray areas to enable my islands to show up. [?]

Thanks!

/hans

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:52 pm

Hello Hans,

It is difficult to follow the problem. The way I do islands is like the "yellow polygons" in topic:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=229

Regards, Luis

Horst

Post by Horst » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:18 am

Hello,
Hans, I am not sure, if you are using the correct datum and projection!?
We need lat/long (geographic) and WGS 84.
I think you moved the data to NE.
They are more accurate, but I am not sure, if it is correct!

I do not know the colour information of LWM Viewer, I can see only one area fill problem. (change one polygon point)!

Open your data with tmf viewer and the world LC and WC, you can find in Scenery\Base\scenery and compare it.
Otherwise you need some custom LC or WC.

Kind regards
Horst

bpahe

Post by bpahe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Horst</i>
<br />Hello,
Hans, I am not sure, if you are using the correct datum and projection!?
We need lat/long (geographic) and WGS 84.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! But let me ask a stupid question, I´m not really good at these GIS data... How do I define/know what is projected as Lat/long? What I have done is that I import Shape-data into MapInfo. When doing so, I define the Coordinate System, which is "Swedish RT90 2.5 gon W", and then the Datum, which is RT90.

If I instead use the Coordinate System (in MapEdit) Latitude/Longitude (deg), and datum WGS84, I only get a flickering screen, and then MapEdit crashes... So, what should I do???

I must then also mention, that I have imported data to SBuilder using the Swedish settings. As an example, last thing I imported was a grass-area surrounding an airport, and it matched exactly the FS positions, so perhaps the error is larger if the area edited is larger?

So, you can see my problem better perhaps? Any help is <b>really</b> appreciated!

Kind regards

/hans

Horst

Post by Horst » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:16 am

Hello Hans,
I am not very familiar to Mapinfo!
I can check this in the next week, if you have a small example to download.

So I can assume only currently!

When you import the data, it is correct to tell the program, which kind of data you have!
(When the program did not recognize it from the tables (all the data come with the main file))

There should also be some tool in Mapinfo, where you can translate the datum and the projection of your map!?
You have to reproject it!!
When you have done it, save the map!

And then work with the data in WGS84!
Very important.

What I can not understand: Why you can not import the Swedish RT90 as Esri shapefile , because it is supported by mapedit??

Kind regards
Horst

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:47 am

Hello,

If your "vector" data does not corresponds to:

1) Projection - Geographic
2) Datum - WGS84

then your data will not fit well in FS.

Also if your "raster" background bitmap does not corresponds to:

1) Projection - Geographic
2) Datum - WGS84

then your bitmap will be wrong in the SBuilder display.

You can use SBuilder to make a transformations between coordinate systems.

For "vector" data, you need to save it as BLN data and then you can work with SBuilder only. For "raster" data you need to save the image as a bitmap and then SBuilder can transform the bitamp (distorting it so that it corresponds to Geographic WGS84).

There is a thread 2 or 3 months ago in AVSIM. It was about the RD Dutch datum. Arno and I discussed how to add a new datum to Sbuilder. If you search the AVSIM forum with the keyword "datum" I am sure you will pick up the discussion.

Now that you will be looking for your data system take this as almost certain:

1) if the data (the numbers) are already degrees then the projection system is already the Geographic system. May be you need to deal with different datums.

2) if the data (the numbers) are big (if, for example, the latitude is more than 90 then they do not refer to degrees) then your projection system is either UTM or Transverse Mercator. The unit of measure of your data refers to meters (for example in the UTM system you have meters from the Equator for the North coordinate).

I will stop here. If you have difficulty in finding what system you have please post here the doubts. One year ago I was a "ZERO" on these matters and I know that it is confusing.

Regards, Luis