Flatten - Rough Edges?

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
boleyd

Flatten - Rough Edges?

Post by boleyd » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:29 am

I created a flatten along a coast line because the water was sloping up to the land instead of ending at a cliff as it should. The rough edges remain. Looks like the water slopw is influnced by mesh points inland and they have priority over the flatten. I have the flatten BGL at the highest priority in the scenery.cfg.

I would show a picture but it appears that you must have a website.

Also, I cannot get the English version of the forum I set it to English and click Sair and the box jumps tp Portugues-PT

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:18 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boleyd</i>
<br />
I created a flatten along a coast line because the water was sloping up to the land instead of ending at a cliff as it should. The rough edges remain. Looks like the water slopw is influnced by mesh points inland and they have priority over the flatten. I have the flatten BGL at the highest priority in the scenery.cfg.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Dick,

I know this! On one hand meshes (and flattens) have a maximum resolution of 19 meters (FS9.1 and MVTL=21). But on the other hand the textures have a resolution of 4.8 meters. The only think you can do is to shift the flatten more to the land side!

The reverse problem also occurs. For example if you place a mesh in the sea with a small island (a single altitude point) you will get a pyramidal island of water. The basis of the pyramid depends on the LOD of the mesh. Say it is LOD10 so that the basis of the pyramid is 38 meters. In order for the island to show as land you could place landclass tiles and then make an LWM polygon around to shape the islands. When I do that I destroy the island (it will appear flattened). I must draw the LWM "shapping polygons" as if the island is about 100 meter diameter for the altitude point (for the 38 meter pyramid) to show. This is a conflict between the mesh and LWM flatten.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I would show a picture but it appears that you must have a website.

??? what do you mean?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Also, I cannot get the English version of the forum I set it to English and click Sair and the box jumps tp Portugues-PT<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It works OK for me! I cannot do better!

Regards, Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:15 pm

Perhaps my Image question can be solved by getting the Forum in English. Despote a few trips to Brizil there are word that I can't guess about.

I guess that there is something about a cookie that locks me in or it is the registration file. I will register as a new person and see if that works. Some others have this problem also - not many.

I will move the flatten inland until I hit the mesh points. Sort of a design flaw in FS2004. I hope that the next release looks at higher resolution mesh-following items and properly matching flattens and textures. Both should be 1 meter per pixel with a slider to allow the customer to set to their system.

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:50 pm

I have tried removing cookies and blocking cookies with the name www.ptsim.com. I created a new user but when I go to the Forum it always comes up with my old profile where I cannot change the language. Is some clever programmer using my IP address as a key? Or, is there another cookie name that does not have PTSIM in it?

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:52 am

Dick,

You can change from Portuguese to English and back at any time. It has nothing to do with cookies or your profile!

Just look to top right corner of the Forum:

Regards, Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:23 pm

The problem is here. I am using the Mozilla Firefox browser because I can block advertisements with it. However, it always resets the language Portugues. When I change to English the language quickly chanes back to Portuguese. The Microsoft Explorer browser operates properly.

Thanks for your help.
Dick

rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd » Thu May 19, 2005 6:06 am

I have the same problem with my Firefox Browser. The English/Portugese selection does not work however it works perfectly in IE.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 19, 2005 8:10 am

Hello,

I know about this problem but I do not know how to correct it. I am sorry!

Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Thu May 19, 2005 6:47 pm

Firefox insists on purity of HTML. They do so with a religious fevor and mission. They want you to join their crusade to clean up the web and contact the web sites to clean up their poor HTML constructs. Imagine me telling someone like Yahoo to fix their site - or else!

Quite probably this from has a bad use of HTML somewhere. If they want to spend time/money to fix it ok. In the meantime I simply jump over to IExplorer if I am puzzled by the language. After awhile you do this less and less.

I also use Firefox for the same reason. I do not mind advertisements but I simply cannot stand the idiotic ones that flash and flash and flash...... These are blocked! I tried just uninstalling Macromedia (an offensive advert constructor) but a few sites are so heavily created in this disgusting little program that I had to restore it. Oh well, just more ad-blocks. Also remember the use of the "*" to kill the entire series of adverts from a flashing company.

Dick Boley near 5G8

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Fri May 20, 2005 6:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">citação:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Mensagem original de boleyd</i>
<br />Firefox insists on purity of HTML. They do so with a religious fevor and mission. They want you to join their crusade to clean up the web and contact the web sites to clean up their poor HTML constructs. Imagine me telling someone like Yahoo to fix their site - or else!

Quite probably this form has a bad use of HTML somewhere. If they want to spend time/money to fix it ok. In the meantime I simply jump over to IExplorer if I am puzzled by the language. After awhile you do this less and less.

I also use Firefox for the same reason. I do not mind advertisements but I simply cannot stand the idiotic ones that flash and flash and flash...... These are blocked! I tried just uninstalling Macromedia (an offensive advert constructor) but a few sites are so heavily created in this disgusting little program that I had to restore it. Oh well, just more ad-blocks. Also remember the use of the "*" to kill the entire series of adverts from a flashing company.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Dick Boley near 5G8