Ideas for placing objects with SB

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Horst

Ideas for placing objects with SB

Post by Horst » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:05 am

Hello,
Some small inspirations for users of SB to place objects:
(Not doing scenery from scratch)

a) Easy connect via Fsuipc (not registered version) to FS. Use the slew mode (top down view) and place your objects.

b) I use most of the time the LWM and VTP append, and import every actual line and polygon I can get in this area, from existing scenery (bgls). So you will have streams, roads, rivers etc. for orientation to place your objects (bridge, church, etc.).
When you do not have a reg. version, you can use LWMViewer and use the export to bmp and set you up the bmp as a background map (takes more time)
Or you can use any other raster map.

c) When you use Mapedit you can use the function in the program and save your map to mp (polish format). With a text editor you can look for the lat/long points of objects (they have different RGN and 0x?? code for the symbols). You can separate with a texteditor and you will get a POI (Points of Interest) list only for a special object. I.e. (depends on your map size) 100 churches, or 50 mountain cabins, or light houses, nav-lights for ships (whatever)
Copy and paste the lat/long and then move and rotate the object a little bit. (copying is a little bit boring ;) )

d) For detail airports, I could not find an easy solution (maybe someone knew one):
You can make a screenshot from AFCAD or the FS (with topdown View) and use this raster image as your background map in SB.
But it is not easy to get the correct bounds.
You can use the AFCAD grid, or the FS gridlines Information for finding the correct calibration.

e) Any other ideas???

Take care, a lot of objects also drop the frames.

Kind regards
Horst