Exclude not working

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
JonPatch

Exclude not working

Post by JonPatch » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:36 am

Folks, I have successfully used SBuilder to help "move" a number of small airports. However in the latest one, the exclude poly (for layer 7) I am using is not working. The flatten, buildings and windsocks remain untouched.

Any idea why this would be?

Jon

Check out my addons: www.jonpatch.ca/flightsim

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:21 am

Hello Jon,

Please clarify if you have problems whith "VTP excluding" or "object excluding".

VTP polygons can exclude VTP features (lines, streams, roads, polygons ...) that exist on specified layer numbers. In order to exclude objects, you can use the exclude Tool in which case you need to specify the type of objects that you want to exclude.

Regards, Luis

JonPatch

Post by JonPatch » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:34 am

Hi Luis, thanks for the quick reply. I am seeking to exclude the airport base polygon on layer 7, most critically seeking to exclude the default FL flatten. So I am using a VTP exclude.

As I say this has worked fine for me before.

EDIT: and yes I know I need a separate object exclude, which does work. I confused things earlier.

EDIT#2: and now I'm doubting it worked before, as the elevation difference may have been too small to notice. Can I really exclude the default flattens or do I have to edit/copy/override the FL file?

Jon

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:11 am

I appended the FS2004 generic FLxxxxxBGL into SBuilder. Modified the flatten in there and recompiled. This new BGL had the modified flatten(s) plus the untouched originals. The usual backup of the original or reload from CD.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 01, 2005 8:07 am

Hi Jon,

The VTP exclude will work in relation to the airport background polygon. But it will not work for the LWM flatten polygon. These can not be excluded. The only thing you can do is to open the default flatten file and delete, change the altitude, change the shape, ..., and compile into a new file (as Dick points out).

The problem is that you are changing a default file and that can cause conflicts if several designers make changes on the same file.

Regards, Luis

JonPatch

Post by JonPatch » Sun May 01, 2005 9:53 am

Yup, I'd had a brain f*rt and forgotten about this. But as Dick says, I don't change the default FL file as such; I make a copy, modify that, then disable the default FL file, thus leaving it untouched. And as Holger has recommended, best to do all the airports in one FL file as multiple releases from different folks become a mess.

Best I can do, so I'll release as close to that as I can get.

Jon