Fligh Simulator not found on your system

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Luis Sa

Fligh Simulator not found on your system

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 12, 2005 6:48 am

Hello,

It could be the case than, when you try to start SBuilder for the first time, you get the message in the title of this post. The most probable cause for this is that SBuilder interrogates the Windows Registry for the location (folder) of FS and then SBuilder does not find FS where the Registry indicates it should be.

This can happen if you intall FS and then you manually move FS to another folder or to another drive. If that is the case I suggest that you use REGEDIT.EXE (tool in the Windows System folder) and change the Registry to conform with your actual location of FS. Here is a picture:

The key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Microsoft Games>Flight
Simulator>9.0>EXE Path

should point to the location where FS is installed. In my case it is in:

C:\Programas\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

You can change this value to fix your installation of FS.

Regards, Luis

scott967

Post by scott967 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:02 am

Is there some way to defeat this check? I was hoping to use sbuilder on my laptop computer without FS9. I do have the registry key set in order to fool another program (AFSD) I normally use Wideclient on this computer to communicate with FS9. I manually copied my sbuilder 205 folders over, so I have all the bitmaps, etc.

scott s.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:33 am

Hi

Sbuilder needs FS for 2 reasons (as far as I remember):

1) copy the default textures (DXT1 and other formats) into the local folder BMP in normal plain bitmap format.

2) to place the bitmaps generated by the VTP photo scenery.

So you could:

a) create that key in the register and then place some scenery.cfg (any file with that name is fine because SBuilder will not read it). Here is the code that gives the STOP:

Public Sub CheckFS9()
Dim X As Single, A$, B$

FSpath = ""
FSpath = regQuery_A_Key(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, _
"Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0", _
"EXE Path")
A$ = ""
A$ = Dir(FSpath + "\scenery.cfg")
If A$ = "" Then
X = MsgBox("FS2004 does not exist in this computer!", 16, AppTitle)
End
End If

FSTexDir = FSpath + "\SCENERY\WORLD\Texture\"

End Sub

As you see it checks for the existence of scenery.cfg. If it does not exist it STOPS. If it exists it creates the path FSTexDir for the VTP scenery referred to above.

b) you manually copy the bitmaps in the folder TOOLS/BMPS found in your desktop to your laptop. Sbuilder reads lands.txt and waters.txt and check if the textures referred to in these files exist in TOOLS/BMPS. If they do it does nothing. If they not exist SBuilder copies them from the default FD9 textures folder.

I hope this works,

Luis

scott967

Post by scott967 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks Luis,

works great.

scott s.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 am

Luis .... I think this started for me in FSX after I removed the donation window ( I sent $25 by PayPal to you) then I think there was an upgrade, not sure, then this started. I wasn't getting the error before I removed the donation window.
Thanks
Joe W.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:46 am

Hello Joe,

There was a minor change between a version that was available during 1 or 2 days before I placed SBuilderX 310 at the AVSIM library. In the AVSIM final version the donation window only appears in the About menu.

But I do not think it has to do with it. Please see the other topic.

Luis