Photo scenery

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Pascal Eilrich

Photo scenery

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Sun May 15, 2005 2:04 am

Hi!
First, i think SBuilder is an excellent and very capable program.
But i have a problem[;)].
The photo scenery i made looks really great, but i want to include it in the default landscape a bit smoother. I created a alpha channel (one with 2 and one with 8bit) but both didnt work. I get only the ugly sqare shaped photo. could you give some advice?
Thanks in advance
Pascal

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 15, 2005 3:57 am

Hi,

I can not forsee where the problem is. I am sure that you can create alpha channels to make the transition between the photo tiles and the default more smooth. But you must elaborate.

Kind Regards, Luis

ps: thanks for the comment

Pascal Eilrich

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Sun May 15, 2005 4:06 am

I think the problem is how to put in the alpha map.
I created a alpha bitmap and put it in as alpha map as in the manual.
But nothing shows in FS and the Bitmaps created by Sbuilder dont have smooth lines. I think one hint to the problem could be that I can see a difference between alpha and summer map in SBuilder. I mean that when i view the summer map, i have a not filled area at the left side of the map(only a small bit) and the same with the alpha map at the right side.It seems that the maps have different positions.
could that be a problem?
And, does SBuilder require a special alpha bitmap eg. 8bit?
Geets Pascal

Pascal Eilrich

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Sun May 15, 2005 4:16 am

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 15, 2005 4:37 am

Hi,

That border is not a problem. You can set No Border around Maps. The error comes from roundings on the routine that draws the border. The alpha bitmap should be 8-bit gray scale. And it should have the same dimension an position as the summer bitmap. You need to check the alpha box in the photo properties.

Luis

Pascal Eilrich

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Sun May 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi again!
You were right the border, it is not a problem, i created it myself, it was a white area in the bitmap.[:I]
I tried it with v2.02 and 2.05 and both didnt create a transparency.
I tried the "force 8bit ", too, but no result.
It seems that Sbuilder doesnt know that i wat the alpha map included, because it creates only DXT if not forced otherwise. If there was an alpha it should create a 8bit bmp automatically.
I checked the boxes for summer and alpha photos, so that should not be the problem.
Hope this helps
Pascal

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 15, 2005 11:41 pm

Hello Pascal,

Could you export your project into a SBX file. Then open the SBX file and paste here (or send by email) the lines that define your map?

Luis

Pascal Eilrich

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Mon May 16, 2005 12:07 am

Hi Luis!
Thanks for your offer.
I got a hint to something that could be the reason.
I reduced the colours with gimp, but i discovered that gimp only saves these reduced pic as 24bit. So it could be that Sbuilder only accepts real 8bit.
I tried some programs to do that but did not find one.
Do you know a capable freeware program?
I think you have got enough to do and dont want to waste your time, so if you know a program i would see if this is the solution.
If it doesnt work i would be very pleased to get back to your offer then.
Thanks
Pascal

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon May 16, 2005 12:39 am

Hi Pascal,

I think you are referring to the alpha map. As I write, I am reading the code for the photo part of SBuilder. The Summer, Fall, ... , can be 32-bit, 24-bit or 8-bit (with a palette in this case) bitmaps.

In relation to the alpha map it should be 8-bit with a palette. See this:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... ype=search

I will check if I have not mixed something when I changed the photo part last month when I added the high res part.

Luis

Pascal Eilrich

Post by Pascal Eilrich » Mon May 16, 2005 2:49 am

Hi!
You dont have to check anymore!
I got it.
It was a problem with creating 8bit bmps.
I now created one with the good old Fs2000 tool bmpext from MWGraphics. And it worked.
Thank you very much for your help!
Pascal
PS:I did not jet try the high resolution scenery.Do I have to create a LOD8 mesh myself or does it work with only checking the High resolution boxes?

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon May 16, 2005 5:40 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">citação:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Mensagem original de Pascal Eilrich</i>
<br />Hi!
PS:I did not jet try the high resolution scenery.Do I have to create a LOD8 mesh myself or does it work with only checking the High resolution boxes?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D]

You have to create the mesh. Better saying: you need to supply a mesh map from which SBuilder reads the altitudes.

HOWEVER: - if you want to place the high res over a flatten area, you can place anything as a mesh bitmap because you will place a LWM flatten. So the mesh can contain rubish because SB will read the altitudes from the LWM flatten.

Luis