Mesh creation problem

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
andrej

Mesh creation problem

Post by andrej » Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Hello everybody!

As for the first task to the scenery builder - latest version of cours, I tried to make mesh scenery from 3arcsec SRTM (*.hgt file), all went well till the compilation part of the job, didn't have time to note the error number so far.
Any ideas?

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri May 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Hello Andrej,

With the given description, I can not remember of any tip. I assume that you placed a "converted from BSQ" bitmap into SBuilder. And even before that stage you were able to "View the BSQ" after you got it from the HGT. You calibrated the "converted from BSQ" bitmap. You made some tiles and select LOD8 (or 9). SBgenerates intermediate files that are kept in the Tools/Work folder. Mat be its inspection will reveal something.

Regards, Luis

andrej

Post by andrej » Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Well, the error message is "#53 - file not found" , the files created in the tools\work folder were:
- DEM09_421132.INF

the contents of the file:

[Source]
Type = ElevS16LSB
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "DEM_001.BSQ"
CellType = S16LSB
NullCellValue = -32768
Lat = 44
Lon = 17
NumOfCellsPerLine = 3601
NumOfLines = 3601
CellXdimensionDeg = 2,77777777777778E-04
CellYdimensionDeg = 2,77777777777778E-04
ScaleinMeters = 1

[Destination]
LOD = 9
DestDir = ".\work"
DestBaseFileName = "DEM09_421132"
NorthLat = 43,59375
SouthLat = 43,2421875
EastLong = 17,8125
WestLong = 17,34375

and there is is also

DEM_001.BSQ that was made by the application at the same time as the *.inf.

What I can see from the *.inf file is that the [source] section does not contain the folder where the original BSQ or bitmap files were placed.

And YES i did (at least i hope so) all the steps correctly, only one thing puzzles me and could be the source of my problems:
I resampled the bmp to 3601 pixels, but didn't do the backwards conversion under File\DEM Tools\Bitmap to BSQ conversion.

I hope this will help ...

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri May 27, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi,

The only thing that SB wants in order to make the mesh is a BITMAP generated with the SB DEM tools (the mesh bitmap). This map should be, of course, calibrated.

Now, when you run the Make Mesh BGL, SBuilder, reads its mesh bitmap, it creates a TEMP (I am not sure, but I think that SBuilder deletes this TEMP file if it finishes without errors) file with suffix BSQ which is the RAW file for the Resample Tool.

[Source]
Type = ElevS16LSB
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "DEM_001.BSQ"

You should check this "DEM_001.BSQ". Try to VIEW it! This file, I repeat, was generated from the mesh bitmap. If it looks good in the Viewer, then everything should be OK up to this stage.

I do not understand what you mean by "I resampled the bmp to 3601 pixels". You could create a 1201 x 1201 bitmap directly from the HGT. You could use the "Processing Dem Tool" to upsample to 1ArcSec. However I see no reason to do that. If you stay with your 1201 x 1201 mesh bitmap, you can get upsampling just by specifying LOD=9 or LOD=10 (on that case the resample itself would create more points).

Luis

andrej

Post by andrej » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Thank You for Your time and effort Luis, the problem is still not completely solved. I can do whatever I wish on level of creating a BSQ
or BMP file. I can convert them, upsample, downsample, reconvert a BSQ file that is made during compilation back to BMP is also posssible, that is also true with the processing of BSQ file with the DEM tools, but when I try to compile the scenery I end up with a bunch of BGL's that are 1kb in size and that's it.

What I am doing wrong? [|)]

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:17 pm

Hi,

So you certain that the bitmap (built from a BSQ file (built from a DEM file )) is OK. And you are placing (calibrating) it correctly. Then with a new project and a unique calibrated bitmap do this:

- change display maps to "MESH"
- press the "MESH" tool

and before clicking on any LOD8 square (that is - before making any mesh tile) just move the mouse over the bitmap and read the altitude on the STATUS bar! IS the altitude correct? Do you get "na" (not available) when the mouse comes out of the bitmap?

I will wait for you to comment this,

Luis

PS: 1KB means a BGL with constant altitude (for example sea level). Is your reading on the status bar a constant value?

andrej

Post by andrej » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:55 am

Unfortunately I can confirm that all these steps are O.K.
Check a screenshot here: http://users.volja.net/andrejdro/sceneb ... _mesh1.gif

I do have the latest version of SB205.exe, but there is another thing that confuses me: in my SB205\Tools folder there are two resample files,
nemed resample0.exe (size=160kB) and resample1.exe (size=164kB), while the latest resample.exe from Microsoft is 184kB in size,could this be a problem?

Or I am doing mistake further in the process? How many tiles do I need to check? Is the procedure in this sequence correct: clicking on a tile cell, than pressing "check" button and finaly "O.K." button, than going into pointer mode and select the vhole mesh map? Or . . . ?

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:49 am

Hi Andrej,

Please keep resample0! It is used in mesh creation in conjunction with tmfcompress, tmf2bgl as in the first release of the MS SDK!

resample1 is a later release (not the last one) and I really can not explain why I am using it!

In fact I just look to the code and, apart from meshes (resample0) I use:

resample0 (with tmfcompress,...) in Water class BGL generation
resample1 (on its own) in Land class BGL generation

I really do not remember why I have done it so!

Now a comment on your small note at the end of your message:

- With SBuilder your mesh is made of several BGLs. Each BGL covers a LOD8 square. This is the reason why the grid display switches to LOD8 as soon as you press the Mesh Tool. Please ignore the Check button. It will only tell you if there is a mesh bitmap for each clicked LOD8 tile. To try it click on 1 tile to create it. Then click on the border of the map and move the map so that the tile has not full support on the map (save frist as the map gets descalibrated!). Then press "Check". You will see that the tile is deleted as it can not be generated (there are not altitudes to cover the tile). So I use this "check" function internally before making the BGLs. But, may be, I should not left it to users as this could confuse them. When you create the tiles (in your case you can create 4 but the SW will be water), you need to select them (not the map, you need to select the tiles; of course that if you select the map in Pointer mode, the tiles will be selected!) and then COMPILE!

Luis

ps: later today try release 04 in the case you have SB in one drive and your files in another drive; see message next to this.

andrej

Post by andrej » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:28 pm

[xx(] In the meantime I managed to arrange another friend who is a
professional computer programmer and also a scenery designer to try
the same as me - make some mesh scenery with SB205. His installation was fresh, he worked independently on a diferent computer, but his results were the same! What shall we do? If You wish I can send You both his and mine source files = *.inf, *.bsq, *.sbp or whatever You think would be of any help in solving this mistery . . .

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:55 pm

Hi,

Export the project as SBX and send it to me. Reading the SBX will reveal a lot of things. Also send the "mesh bitmap". Just send these 2 files.

Luis