BGL Problem solved (I hope)

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
flyinslinky

BGL Problem solved (I hope)

Post by flyinslinky » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:49 pm

Hi Luis,

You've given me a lot of help with my problem. I just wanted to say that I seem to have it solved. I still have the same error (no bgl files generated) if I open a file using the OPEN command from the file menu. However, I've discovered that if I can open the file using the recent docs list then I have no problem. The scenery exports and the bgl's are generated as expected. Must be a bug that only shows up on my machine. I've been able to export all lines, polys and landclass. Haven't tried objects yet.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for making this great program available to us simers.

Cheers,
Matthew

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:00 am

Hi Matthew,

[8D]

I will read the code of the Open File versus using Recent Files, to see if it is anything specific to SB that causes this strange behaviour!

Luis

scott967

Post by scott967 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:19 pm

Luis --

I am having exactly the same problem, and the "work around" also worked for me.

If I opened a project (or created a new one), appended my data (all LWM polys) selected polys and compiled, an SCM file is created but scasm is not executed. Running scasm from a command line shows no problems. So following the tip from flyinslinky, I opened the project from the LRU list, and then on compile it was sent to scasm and the bgl file copied to my destination folder.

Note that my input, project, and destination folders are on one drive, and sbuilder 2.05 rev .03 on a different drive.

scott s.

flyinslinky

Post by flyinslinky » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi,

Seems to be the bug. I tried starting SBuilder and opened a file with the recent menu. It compiled fine. Then I opened a file with the open command and the bgl error returned. In fact, after that I couldn't compile even when I opened a file with the recent menu again. I had to shut down the program, restart it and then it worked fine.

Nice to know I'm not the only person with this problem, Scott.

By the way, when I generate a mesh using the downloaded data from NASA it works just fine except that the default lakes have a big flat area around them. My new lakes are in a different position, but the flat area remains. Even with the new mesh in place this still shows and I have big cliffs where there are none in real life. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

scott967

Post by scott967 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:39 am

The problem is default files (HP9xxyy0.BGL, where xx and yy are the coodinates of the LOD5 area), contain LWM polys that flatten the area in lakes and at the sea coast. You can replace the LWM polys with your own, but the "flattens" remain (the same holds true for airport flattens, and stream and road flattens). The only practical way to restore the mesh elevations to default areas is to edit the default files. If you do a search on the AVSIM scenery design forum, you will find some threads on the pitfalls of edited default files. What some folks (FSGenesis, USARoads, and I assume America data and Ult Terrain) do, is to back up the default bgls and replace the entire LOD5 area with their own files, rather than editing the default file. They provide installers that automatically restore the default files if desired by the user.

scott s.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:04 pm

Hello,

I forgot to check this problem! I will try to see it right now!

Luis

flyinslinky

Post by flyinslinky » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Thanks, Scott.

I ran across a topic in this forum about this same subject and wondered if that was the issue. I'm a newbie to scenery design but I'll have a look at the other forums and see what I can come up with. I really hate to have the new mesh spoiled by the default flattens and I checked about the default streams and I can see the same problem you mention.

Horst

Post by Horst » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:54 pm

Hello,
Except the discussed problems for users in some areas, when you change default data.
I think the best way to do (what Scott described):

1)Import your own data (bgl) to LWMViewer.
2)Export as bitmap (resolution)
3)Use the bitmap as background map in Sbuilder. The boundary for calibration is in the textfile
4)Append the orig. HP and make your modification in association to your background bitmap
5)Save the HP = bgl compilation
6)You can do the same with RD or RR or whatever

Of course, you can do some addition to every other addon you have, with this method.
(making extra streets, placing objects whatever)
When you use I: insert, B:break, D:delete, and some progressive line settings you can work very accurate.

Regards
Horst

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:25 am

Hi

Yes there was a bug when the SBuilder application and the working projects reside in different drives (thanks Scott). Look for revision 04 in the updates.

Regards, Luis

scott967

Post by scott967 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:22 am

Thanks Luis --

for flyinslinky,

For road and stream flattens, it is possbiile to change their global flatten behaviour by editing the terrain.cfg file. That might be OK for your own use, but I doubt most users would want to do that.

For example for roads:

//Stream Lines
<Texture.1024> // stream lines / unknown / perennial
Type=1
Size=4
ExcludeAutogen=1
MaskClassMap=3
Textures=RiverSU.bmp
offset=-2 // -10

the "offset" line causes the flatten effect under the river. In this case, by default the stream is depressed 10 feet below the mesh elevation, and I have changed it to 2 feet. With the 10 foot depression, if you exclude the stream, you can still see the depression in the ground. I think in general, if you are using higher resolution mesh, you don't need the stream flattens.

Here is the code for roads:

// 1 Lane - Divided Median
<Texture.1134> // concrete / 1 lane / divided median
Type=2
Size=4
ExcludeAutogen=1
MaskClassMap=1
Textures=hiwaysu.bmp,hiwayhw.bmp,hiwaysu.bmp,hiwaysu.bmp,hiwaysu.bmp,hiwaylm.bmp
offset=flat

Here we see "offset=flat".

As Horst advises, when looking at the impact of default scenery on your work, LWMViewer is your "friend".

scott s.

Horst

Post by Horst » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:03 am

Hello,
Yes Scott, and we are back to the discussion about the need for some “local control” from MS.

Regards
Horst