About Tutorials

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Raúl Perelló Alonso

About Tutorials

Post by Raúl Perelló Alonso » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 am

Hello to everybody:

I believe that all will coincide with me regarding that SBuilder is a magnificent program (perhaps the best) for the creation of sceneries in Flight Simulator. His author, Luis Sá, has made a great work and he has given to all us the opportunity of many hours of pleasing hobby to happen.

However, in certain aspects, the creation of sceneries with SBuilder has a high degree of difficulty for the users (among which I include myself) that only have a very rudimentary knowledge in the development of these tasks.

SBuilder needs tutorials. Tutorials that teach, step by step and without technical terms, all and each one of the diverse operations involved in the practical use of this program, from the beginning until the end. Nobody of us are able to make a wide and comprehensible tutorial similar to which Jeffrey Stanyer wrote for the Creation of an Island with SBuilder?

The author of SBuilder, Luis Sá, has created the program and he has given it to us. Through this forum he do all that he is able for to give answers and helps to our doubts, but... the day has 24 hours and I am sure he is using 25 hours. I think we must help him in what we are capable.

Raúl

Horst

Post by Horst » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:37 am

Hello,
Raul, I think you are correct.
And we should help Luis with his 25 hours job!

But, there are so many approaches in different counties, and the data you can get.

I think it is impossible to write a correct tutorial.
I don not know myself, where to start!
And I do not know, what I should write down!

When Luis released his Sbuilder, I thought: WOW: bln import, sbx. A converter!!
Meanwhile he insert a lot of things for users worldwide.

We have too many data from different source!!

Why we do not use this forum as a platform?
Do not let Luis answer all the questions?
Why we do not asked simple questions? (Luis do not have to answer this, we can help him)

Why some user do not ask this question?
Simple questions get simple answers.

Maybe NASAs World Wind project will give us a nice unique download possibility.

Kind regards
Horst

Raúl Perelló Alonso

Post by Raúl Perelló Alonso » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:50 pm

Dear Horst:

Thank you for your answer but... I should tell you something. I am almost 70 years old and many, many, many things that along my life I believed in that moment that they were impossible... today they are a reality. The Man in the Moon, the Miracle of Internet, the Clonación, etc., etc. For this reason and many others, I think that the “impossible” word should be eradicated of the dictionaries of all the languages that exist in the whole universe.

· You tell me that you believe that it is impossible to write a correct tutorial
Remember: some more years, and the impossible word will be forbidden (from now on, I don't write it again)!

· You tell me that you would not know where to begin
Very Easy: in the principle of what you know and you will already see as, little by little, you will be in the correct road!

· You tell me that you would not know what to write
Elementary, my dear Watson: relate, step by step and with simple words, what it is what you are doing in SBuilder to create the scenery of the region of Austria where you live!

I already know, dear Horst, that to write a tutorial requires patience and perseverance. I also know that with SBuilder, due to the variables that the program offers, such a task is difficult, but not................ (in the line of points goes the forbidden word). But... I also know that for who knows how to make it would be an exciting task!

Raúl

Horst

Post by Horst » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:48 am

Dear Raul,
Sorry, to mention the words: “impossible” and “correct”. Not my native language!

The “computer world” is changing every day!

But I am stunning and impressed to your words:
Quote:
“I should tell you something. I am almost 70 years old…………”

Kind regards
Horst

Horst

Post by Horst » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:32 am

Dear Raul,
Me again.
Today, I was thinking about your request!
I have to make a scenery from scratch, to write a tutorial (maybe in the next cold winter days)

I have to tell you, I am a user of Sbuilder like you.
And I do not model Austria (I bought a wonderful 3rd party addon!)

Maybe, you tell me, and all the other forum members, what you will try to create!
And we will guide you to the target with small tutorials (and answers) and ideas?
Step by step.
At the end maybe you are the designer writing the tutorials?

Kind regards
Horst

Raúl Perelló Alonso

Post by Raúl Perelló Alonso » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:48 am

Dear Horst:

I find that your idea is a magnificent opportunity and an excellent way of transmitting knowledge about the design of sceneries by means of SBuilder.

It would come to be more than a tutorial, a learning school through this forum for everybody that has curiosity and want to learn. A work script could even settle down, something like that as a plan of studies, by means of the which, and in dates specified ahead of time, debate topics referred to each one of the diverse aspects of the program.

Forgive me... it is a joke!... but, Horst... don't let yourself to take for my enthusiasm. Really I believe that what you propose is the best way of taking the first step.

Well, I live in Mallorca, the bigger than the Balearic Islands. And I want to create my own scenery of these islands. I have for it the following tools:

1. Flight Simulator 9 (and all the previous versions)
2. SBuilder (with the one that I am discussing the whole day)
3. CellGrid_2004a and TCalc2004
4. The 7 SRTM data files of altitude corresponding to the Balearic Islands
(also in BSQ and BMP formats, without holes and with the clean sea)
5. PhotoShop (with which I work perfectly)
6. Photographs from satellite (unfortunately in scale 1:100000)
7. Microdem (I don't work very well with it)
8. All what I still have of patience and life

Do you believe, dear Horst, that with these suitcases, and others that I don't mention, can I undertake the trip and, perhaps, someday I would be able to write a good tutorial?

Kind Regards

Raúl

Horst

Post by Horst » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:06 am

Dear Raul,
To answer the question: Yes
Because, you mention two things are necessary:
A)patience and perseverance
B)your point 5: PhotoShop (with which I work perfectly)

Sbuilder is a work in progress, and the same is the knowledge of every designer (I think)
And a forum is some kind of a learning school (I think)
Using search function in forums, with the correct terminology, will answer a lot of open questions. (for me)
Besides this forum: also:
Avsim scenery design forum
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... &forum=123
Avsim mesh scenery design
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... &forum=124
And more for object designer (but not only):
http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/

When you on Avsim, you can also look in the library for
Tmf_manual.zip (author is Christian Stock).
It was done for FS2002, and some stuff changed to FS2004, but I think worth to read.

When your SRTM data does not have holes, I think you can use the instruction in the SB helpfile from Luis (Working with SBuilder/Making Scenery../Mesh scenery) and try to make the mesh.
And put these data to LOD9.

I think you a referring to the Landsat7 imageries?
John Childs was writing an article using them with Photoshop:
http://www.terrainmap.com/rm25.html

I think, it is not worth to try, making photo scenery out of them.
The scale will not give nice results in the Flight simulator world, what ever you try.
I would like to show you a small screenshot, done with:
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

uploaded/Horst/2005612185947_2.66077E_39.57130N.jpg

But they are very good, as a background map.

For calibrating and reprojection I would suggest to read this article:
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... &mode=full
Using the steps from Holger, I think, you should be able to set you up the image in Sbuilder as a background map. (where you get the information for your work)

For the shorelines and ocean, I know a map (vector):
http://www.zefsail.it/MedSeaV10MS_UK.htm
you can probably use.
I can write you a brief instruction: How you can use mapedit and use Append mp import in Sbuilder with this data.

Hope this helps a little for the first steps.

Kind regards
Horst

Raúl Perelló Alonso

Post by Raúl Perelló Alonso » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:33 am

Dear Horst:

You are an excellent person and I thank you a lot all the interest that you are dedicating to me. I would want, at some time, to be able to reward you in the same form.

I have been traveling for all the Web addresses that you indicate me and I have discharged some programs. But... I am truly afraid regarding the enormous quantity of new knowledge that, suddenly, I should assimilate to be able to develop my scenery. Please, Horst... you must pities of me... that my head already is not for such titanic efforts!

Maybe if, little by little, I outline some questions to you, the road it becomes easier for me and... also for you (on the road not only travel the pupil, also makes it the teacher). Here I ask you some questions:

1. what is a VTP scenery?
2. what is an Area Fill?
3. in Grid Lod 13, how much meters they measure the sides of 1 area? Perhaps... 1229 meters approximately?

Exactly now I am thinking a form of learning about how to build my scenery that, maybe, be the best form. I can go doing my work and remit to you the SBP file about of which I'm doing so that you analyze it. Including in the first shipping my BMP map (N39E002 [4228 KB]). What do you say, Horst?

Kind regards

Raúl

Horst

Post by Horst » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:35 am

Hello Raul,
Ok, I will write you a mail (I saw your hotmail address)
Maybe we can make a tutorial from your project.
And we will try to use almost every part in Sbuilder.

You will find in the help file a good brief introduction to your questions.

For maybe an easier way to set up a background, I was writing to Luis an idea.
But I do not know, if it is on the “To do” – list.

Kind regards
Horst