New Altitude Based Textures?

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
boleyd

New Altitude Based Textures?

Post by boleyd » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:00 am

From my limited testing the new texture function seems to need a ground plane that exactly matches the texture in altutude. If not the display is dirtorted in a variety of ways depending upon the flatness of the underlying ground and the individual elevation points of the texture itself. Maybe it need an additional flatten feature to generate a matching flatten to "prepare the ground".

I tried a sloped taxiway (PAKT) and although I could get a properly linearly sloped texture it was distorted with one side higher than the other and it required a perfectly matching flatten, with the same elevation points beneath it.

Perhaps someone more skilled in this area can illustrate a functioning example of the altitude based texture.

Similarly, I was never able to get an acceptable hi-resolution texture and would like to see an example of it working.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:42 am

Hi Dick,

When you make a "textured polygon" you have control of (X Y Z) of every point (note that you can access the point properties and set any of those). And you must know the terrain (the altitudes) where you are going to plant such polygon ...

There is a resemblance to "high res photo", but in the case of "textured polygons" SBuilder does not attempts to read altitudes from an existing "mesh map". So that depends on you!

In the example that I posted here - a 4 point tilted runway - I would make one polygon and would declare it as tilted LWM3 polygon. Then I would copy and paste this polygon so that I would end up with 2 identical LWM3 polygons. Then I would pick one and change its type to "texture". And the altitudes should be fine!

Even if you do that, it could be the case that your textured polygon either burries into the terrain or floats over the terrain. The reason is simple. You declared 4 points and set its altitudes. But there is a limited probability that your points coincide with the internal grid of altitude points. FS will probably make adjustments to use your 4 specified altitudes.

Therefore, even in this simple case, I would inspect the result and I could go into a trial and error adjustment of the 4 altitudes so that the runway does not get burried or floating!

ON THE OTHER HAND - if you are working on a flattened area, as when you make an airport, you will have a flatten. So everything is at a known altitude. And such problems will not occur.

I have not created anything yet with both the textured polygons and "high res photo". But I will soon be doing it. I will publish my findings here.

Regards, Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:10 am

I have been successful in using the the new altitude, or sloped, textures. In my case I could not use more than 4 altitude points in either the underlying flatten or the texture. The project was to show the sloped taxiway at PAKT - Ketchikan, Alaska. It is in three sections now. Two slopped from 90M to 12M and a short 12M segment in the middle.

Since a flatten must usually accompany a slopped/tilted texture it would be nice to have an option that offers a flatten to the same specs as the texture.

Finally, an AFCAD element (runway, taxiway, etc.) "near" the texture causes odd displays of the texture and the AFCAD element. May be due to the flatten function in the AFCAD elements.

Dick Boley near 5G8

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:53 pm

I believe that my problems with the new altitude based textures was due to the Max Vertex set to 19. At a setting of 21 I am able to use AFCAD for a runway adjacent to the taxiway with no problem at a setting of 21.

I would like to see a function that automatically constructs a flatten the same size, and altitude points, as the texture when a texture is created.

Dick Boley near 5G8

guynemoz

Post by guynemoz » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:52 am

hello from France, non best solution at this time for slop runways:
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main ... courch.htm
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... ype=search
Congratulations, guy
I know you Luis from FS98..How is Coimbra airclub at this time??
you can find some (many) slop runways LFLJ Courchevel,Alpes d'Huez,Meribel,Megeve,LUKLA,etc (not the best at this day..i try too from FS98)..
at:
http://www.vf-air.com/ (sorry only french language)
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bravomike/ my old best friend