Problem With Flatten

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
boleyd

Problem With Flatten

Post by boleyd » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:57 pm

I have a slopped flatten with a taxiway texture on top of it. The picture below shows the aircraft sinking through the texture into a valley that has not been flattened. The position of the aircraft is in the middle of the flatten. The SBuilder layout is also shown. The texture is selected. The flatten is the wider polygon.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:15 am

Hello Dick,

I am not sure if what I will saying is correct, but ...

FS has altitude points in a grid of LOD19 (the following picture was taken with SBuilder with the display grid On = 19)

If you draw a tinny flatten polygon (be it LWM2 or LWM3) and if not a single LOD19 vertex is inside the polygon, then the polygon is equivalent to nothing.

I think that you have a similar problem with your thin taxiway.

Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:23 pm

That was the problem.I made the flatten wider (picture). However, even at this width the plane sinks a small amount. I changed my Max Vertex (fs9.cfg) from 19 to 21 and that fixed the small loss of flatten. I hope that Microsoft pays attention to the ground level issues etc. in the next release. I like scenery from a REAL as possible flight model. If I cannot see a slat deploy on a 777 I am not disappointed.

Dick Boley near 5G8

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:05 am

I thought that the flatten problems were solved. For me they are not. I have a large 4 point all equal altitude flatten that has variations in altitude near its edges. At one edge the underlying mesh/ground shows through with a 0.2 to 0.3M variation higher than the flatten value. On the opposite side the altitude of the slewing aircraft decreases buy 0.2 to 0.3M. Without, or with, a texture the problem remains. I do not understand SCASM so maybe someone who does can do some experimenting. I suspect that flattens near each other visually interfere when covered with a texture.

Dick Boley near 5G8