Can somebody help me with Hi-Res?

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
rpa

Can somebody help me with Hi-Res?

Post by rpa » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:34 pm

Hello:

In first place I beg pardon because of my faulty English.

In second place I request help to create my scenery in high resolution.

I have in SBuilder the mesh bitmap in resolution 3 ArcSec (1201 x 1201 pixels) of the area: North=40 / South=39 / West=2 / East=3. I have worked this bitmap with the DEM tools and it is perfectly calibrated in SBuilder.

I also have in SBuilder, and correctly calibrated, a beautiful aerial photo with a resolution of 0,5 meter/píxel (7570 x 7352 pixels) of the following situation: North=39.61677 / South=39.5836543 / West=2.68057 / East=2.72479. It occupies 9 LODs 13 completely.

I wish to use this photo to create with SBuilder my scenery. I haven't problems to make it in normal resolution of 4,8 meter/píxel, but in high resolution... I don't know as making it. I have attempted in many, many ways and different combinations, but I have always failed.

Please, it would some of you to indicate me, <b>step to step</b>,the correct form to create it.

Thanks very much and, again, I beg pardon for my bad English language.

RPA

rpa

Post by rpa » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:06 am

... What happens, there are nobody in the forum?

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:08 am

I believe that Luis responded to some questions in the forum with some tips(secrets) on the Hi-Res scenery/textures. I have created them with flattens and with elevations (mesh). I do not know of any successful Hi-Res textures that did not have a problem as you get close to them. The Sao Paulo textures are excellent but they also have problems if you are close. Also, unless you have a very high end PC the textures are blurred until you approach them. As an example if you are 4000ft above the ground (AGL)and pan the view from the cockpit you will see clear textures near the airplane but blurred textures in the distance. I am using a Radeon 9800SE with 128mb memory.

I think that if you look through some Luis Sa responses to messages and the Help file it may give you enough information to get started. I suggest that you begin with a flatten under the Hi-Res textures to start. You can add the mesh later which is a more complex step.

Dick Boley near 5G8

rpa

Post by rpa » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Hello, Dick!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Really, Dick, I don't have problems to generate the necessary BGLs and XXXXX ..._1024_Su files to visualize the high resolution scenery in FS. My problem is that I can't see them in FS. I have created these files with flattens and also with mesh. I have placed them in the corresponding folders of FS, but... it is useless, I can't see them neither from a distance neither closely.

On the other hand, I see perfectly the VTP scenery. In the following image, and as an example, you can observe what I obtain in FS:

as you see, there are 9 tiles in LOD13. The 8 of the periphery are generated in VTP of normal resolution, no problem. That of the center is generated in Hi-Res... and this it is my problem... it is invisible in FS!

Evidently, I know that I am making something mistaken, but I don't know what it can be. Because of that, any type of help will be welcome for me.

Thanks and kind regards.

rpa

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:58 am

The photo BGLs are put in the alternate/secondary folder specified in the Properties of the Project. Usually landclass BGLs appear here but photo BGL also go here...

Dick Boley near 5G8

rpa

Post by rpa » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi Dick, thank you for your answer.

I know that Photo BGLs must be placed in the Secondary BGL Fólder of SBuilder, and I have configured it in this way in Project Properties of Sbuilder. But it is the same thing... in this form as if I place the files manually in FS, I cannot see the photographic tile in Hi-Res.

Many times I have thought that the problem was in my graphic card, but it is not so because I can see perfectly the "Sao Paulo" textures in my PC.

I can't understand what is going on. For that reason, I need to know what way, step to step, other designers make for to generate high resolution tiles with SBuilder.

Kind regards.

RPA

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:35 pm

I do not remember enough about the process to create a step-by-step sequence.

However, the only other thnig I cna think of is that the texture file is not in the same folder as the PHOTO BGL. Below is my BGL folder contents and some of the texture files.

Dick Boley near 5G8

oldhorse

Post by oldhorse » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi
I am way to new to say much here, but I have found out the hard way
that the bgl can go in any working scenery folder. BUT LONG FILE NAME
[011220303200023su.bmp] TEXTURE FILES GO IN THE SCENERY\WORLD\TEXTURE FOLDER. Sbuillder put them there, I would check to see if they
made it ok
Rich

rpa

Post by rpa » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:13 pm

Dear Dick and Holdhorse:

Thanks for your answers. Now, and so that both of you are able to understand me better, I will tell you, step by step, how I make my work.

<u><b>First the VTP scenery.</b></u> (without problems)

1. I load in SBuilder my PhotoBitmap. This map have 7570 x 7352 pixels at 0.5 m/pixel, occupies a square of 3 x3 tiles (total= 9 tiles) in LOD13 and it is perfectly calibrated.
2. Then, I activate PHOTO by means the Photo button and I select the 8 tiles of the periphery.
3. In View tool, I check All Maps and All PhotoTiles.
4. In Select tool, I check also All Maps and All PhotoTiles.
5. I go to BGL button, then I check, in VTP Scenery, the boxes VTP Photo and Make Bitmaps. I press the Compile button.

<i>SBuilder create in ../Sbuilder/Tools/Work/ a BGL of size 1 Kb named Project1_VTPH.BGL and 8 bitmaps each 43 Kb in size, 256 x 256 pixels and 32bit format and named like 013000232312131Su.bmp, 013000232312133Su.bmp, and so on...</i>

6. I put the BGL in .../Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/My Project/Scenery folder.
7. I put the 8 bitmaps in.../Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/World/Texture folder.

<b>This VTP scenery I see it perfectly in Flight Simulator!!!</b>

<u><b>Now, the High Resolution Scenery.</b></u> (very big problem for me)

1. I load again in Sbuilder my PhotoBitmap (the same PhotoBitmap that I have used before with VTP Scenery).
2. Then, I activate PHOTO with the Photo button and I select the tile of the center fo my PhotoBitmap. I check Summer, layer 8 and 1.2 meter/pixel (I want this tile in Hi-Res).
3. In View tool, I check All Maps and All PhotoTiles.
4. In Select tool, also I check All Maps and All PhotoTiles.
5. I go to BGL button. Then, in VTP Scenery, I unchecked the boxes VTP Photo and Make Bitmaps, and I check, in High Res. Photo, the boxes Make BGLs and Make Bitmaps. Finally, I press the Compile button.

<i>SBuilder makes in ../Sbuilder/Tools/Work/ a BGL of size 4 Kb named Project1_PHOTO.BGL and 1 bitmap 683 Kb in size, 1024 x 1024 pixels and 32bit format named 013000232313022_1024_Su.bmp</i>

6. I put the BGL in .../Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Addon Scenery/My Project/Scenery folder.
7. I put the bitmap in.../Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/ Addon Scenery/My Project/Texture folder.

<b>In Flight Simulator I continue seeing the 8 VTP tiles, but neither a single trace of the created tile in High Resolution (you can see it in the previous image that I sent days ago), the corresponding space is empty!!!</b>

Moreover, I have try to make it in many other ways… I have make flattens, I have created 128 tilted triangular polygons, I have done many stupid things, but… always with the same result.

Can it be a bug in my SBuilder? Do you think that, perhaps, I must reinstall SBuilder?

Any help will be very, very, very appreciated for me.

Regards

RPA

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:27 pm

You do not show if you have a flatten for the example. I make a flatten AT THE SAME TIME as the photo BGL - same project. I know that the mesh operation requires that you make the mesh in the same project. I suspect that you must also have any flatten in the same project also.

My hi-res before compile and selection:

Before compile to BGL:

Dick Boley near 5G8

Gridley

Post by Gridley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:31 pm

I suspect that elevation is the problem. It is not enough to just have the mesh and the photo map in the same project - they should be in the SAME MAP...meaning, right click your photo map in SBuilder and select properties. Click the mesh maps tab. If that doesn't point to the SRTM BSQ2BMP mesh, then the photo scenery is displaying at 0m, thus is not visible because it is under the terrain.

The high res photo requires mesh or flattens...

rpa

Post by rpa » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:24 pm

Hi, Dick and Gridley!

Thank you for your answers.

Dear Dick, following the way that you indicated me with your images (an image is better than a thousand words) yesterday I sang... HALLELUJAH!!!. It was the first time that I was able to see in FS my Bitmap of High Resolution. It was beautiful!

It didn't have the 0,5 meter/píxel resolution of the original picture (I suppose that it had the maxim that gives SBuilder = 1,2 meter/píxel), but it was beautiful compared with the normal resolution of 4,78.

But... this was yesterday. Today, I have wanted to repeat the process acting in an exactly same way and I only can obtain a very faulty image, maybe worse than one of normal resolution. I don't know what happens. All this morning and all this afternoon (... I doesn't work, I am retired... in January I will be 70 years old) I have tried many times, unsuccessfully, to see again in FS the beauty image of yesterday. Nevertheless, I will continue attempting it. But I am a little confused.

This is my configuration:

Dear Gridley, I have also tried to make it with mesh. Exactly, when I have in SBuilder the mesh map and the photo map of my project, if I click in Properties / Mesh Maps tab this point to BSQ2BMP. However, and although I believe that I develop the process in the correct way (... even though I am not very sure!), I don't obtain positive results; that is to say, I don't obtain in FS the image of my photographic Bitmap.

On the other hand, I have also attempted it making Flatten in Mesh. This has created 128 triangular polygons tilted on the photographic tile, but with an absurd altitudes. I don't know how to correct these altitudes in a single operation. I have corrected them manually, one by one (I should be crazy!) but I can't see my photo in FS. Do you have some advice?

I'm very thankful to both. Kind regards

RPA

Gridley

Post by Gridley » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Dear Gridley, I have also tried to make it with mesh. Exactly, when I have in SBuilder the mesh map and the photo map of my project, if I click in Properties / Mesh Maps tab this point to BSQ2BMP. However, and although I believe that I develop the process in the correct way (... even though I am not very sure!), I don't obtain positive results; that is to say, I don't obtain in FS the image of my photographic Bitmap.

On the other hand, I have also attempted it making Flatten in Mesh. This has created 128 triangular polygons tilted on the photographic tile, but with an absurd altitudes. I don't know how to correct these altitudes in a single operation. I have corrected them manually, one by one (I should be crazy!) but I can't see my photo in FS. Do you have some advice?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Think of it this way: SBuilder creates a surface of a defined altitude to which the high res photo is applied. The altitudes come from either a mesh or a flatten. The flatten is either a regular flat flatten or the network of LWM3 triangle obtained from the "make flattens" button.

The other thing to remember is that the terrain in FS must match the altitudes that the photo is applied to - that will not happen automatically. If mesh is used to make the photo scenery, that same mesh should be installed into FS9. If flattens are used, then the LWM2 or LWM3 flatten bgl must also be installed into FS9. These are required to match the terrain altitude to the photo altitude.

If this doesn't help, there is a parameter that can be hand edited in the SB.ini file which causes the photo to be slightly offset from the mesh. I can't recall the entry, but there's a few posts here with that info. Perhaps changing that offset to 1 will allow the photo to appear over the terrain instead of under it.

I think that might help a bit...

rpa

Post by rpa » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi Gridley:

I continue attempting it. Until this moment, unsuccessfully.

Yes, I assume that Hi-Res scenery should be achieved either with the mesh or by means of flattened, and that all the resulting BGLs should be appropriately installed in FS9. I make it on this way, but... without positive results.

When I make a flatten (LWM2) as Dick indicated to me in its Post 246, I was able to see in FS9, only for the first time, my photo in high resolution. Now I try to repeat the process unsuccessfully. I can see the photo tile in FS9, but I see it as a tile of normal resolution, not as high resolution tile.

If I make "Make Flatten" in Properties of Mesh" (LWM3) 128 triangular tilted polygons are created into the tile that I want be as Hi-Res. But these polygons have absurd altitudes (43568 meters, 39562 meters, 25956... and so on) that don't correspond with the altitudes of the mesh in that place (more or less 43 meters). Therefore, in FS9, I see a scenery replete of "needles" that it have the same absurd altitudes of the 128 polygons. Also, I have changed several times in the file SBuilder.ini the parameters of MeshBias and FlattenBias, but everything continues equally. It is something frustrating!

Two questions:

1. how can I change manually, by means of a single operation, the different altitudes of all the 128 polygons to an uniform altitude?
2. how can I eliminate all the 128 polygons by means of a single operation?

Gridley, I have seen the tutorials for SBuilder that you have posted in http://fs-freeflow.com. I think that those tutoriales are magnificent and that they constitute a great help to who, like I, are not expert. Gridley, forgives my impudence, but... it would be possible for you to write a tutorial about Hi-Res. A lot of people (...me the first one!) would be very grateful to you.

Thanks very much and kind regards.

RPA (... each day more desperate!!!)

Gridley

Post by Gridley » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:55 pm

RE: Tutorial - bob brown and I will hopefully be working on a hi-res tutorial next week.

RE: Your scenery - do the bmp file names you are using end in _1024.bmp?