Strange Error

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
rbrown3rd

Strange Error

Post by rbrown3rd » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:39 pm

After rebuilding my hard drive and reinstalling Sbuilder everything ran fine. I then sorted an illogical drive letter on my second, data, drive. I have my "My Documents" folder on that second drive. The drive name changed from F: to D:. After pointing the My Documents menu in the start folder to the proper new drive letter and location I get a strange error when starting Sbuilder. The error is "Error 1324, The path My Documents contains an invalid character." The title bar for the error message is for my Realair Spitfire MKXIV. Everything works fine including the new My Documents location. Why would Sbuilder invoke an error for an aircraft in FS9?

rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 pm

This is very strange. When I click on the Sbuilder shortcut or the program directly in its own folder Sbuilder starts up but it also tries to run the RealAir Spitfire installer. How weird is that?

scruffyduck

Post by scruffyduck » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:28 pm

OK I have seen this problem - I think it is related to a registry error. I seem to recall running a program and getting an installer start up............

I think I ran a registry repair program to try and sort it out. There may be a key somewhere tying the Sbuilder executable or ini to the Realair installer???

Jon
http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk
http://www.wdfs.co.uk

rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi Jon,
That is what I thought also. I just ran a registry repair program but it still works. I think I am going to have to dig through the registry. One of the mysteries of Windows. Oh my. Thanks for responding.

Bob

rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Clicking on preferences in Sbuilder also invokes it. Strange. After clicking through the error messages Sbuilder runs just fine. All of this happened after I changed the drive letter on my second drive that I use for data. I then had to change the My Documents location to point to that new drive letter. Since then it has happened. I may tinker with that some more although usually with Windows tinkering begins a long downhill slide. Darn, and this is a new installation too.

José

Post by José » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:17 pm

I've seen this problem when there are two executables programs with the same name (setup.exe, as an example). Could it be the case?

J.F.Lôbo

rbrown3rd

Post by rbrown3rd » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:28 am

I finally took the step of editing my registry searching for every reference to "My Documents." Many of them still had the old drive letter designation. After changing what seemed like a hundred entries, it was probably only thirty or so, to the correct drive letter it solved the problems. Apparently when I changed the data drive letter and moved "My Documents" there were many straggler entries left in the registry with the old letter. I don't know which entry I changed that fixed the Sbuilder problem but they all needed to be fixed anyway.

scruffyduck

Post by scruffyduck » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Strange. After clicking through the error messages Sbuilder runs just fine.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep that is the pattern of this problem. An unexpected installer starts up - cancel the installer and the program you want to run runs [:(]

Anyway pleased to hear you have found the problem [:)]

Jon

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:02 am

Hello,

Hummm!!! I do not remember SBuilder to access the "My Documents" folder! I am in the process of revising everything about SBuilder - may be I discover something! But you seem to correct the problem anyway!

Regards, Luis

scruffyduck

Post by scruffyduck » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:55 am

Hi Luis

Not sure that it is that simple - I have never found a logical link between the application I wanted to load and the installer which started up [:D]

Looking forward to the next version of SBuilder - are you continuing in VB6?

Jon