LWM Problem

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
ajweber

LWM Problem

Post by ajweber » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:46 pm

I'm trying to modify a coastline and the LWM in sbuilder covers everything but the beach. How do I fix this?

José

Post by José » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:58 pm

Some days ago (10/09/2006), in this forum, I post a similar issue and Luis give me some instructions that should be useful for you.

Please, take a look at page 3 (we are in page one).

Regards,

José

J.F.Lôbo

José

Post by José » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:49 am

This is the topic number

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=860

José

J.F.Lôbo

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:58 am

I tried making the water a VTP poly but the computer crashes when I try to go back to the location, so I have to make the water an LWM water mask, which still leaves me with this.

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:56 am

Thanks Jose!!!
I finaly figured out the reason my computer crashed. The texture I chose to use was 16 bit, and when I converted it to DXT1 everything worked fine {see example 1} Now my question is, the texture I chose {which seemed to be a default ocean texture} is hard, with no water charecteristics {see example 2} Can anyone help me on this?

José

Post by José » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:50 am

Hi, Weber

Looking to your pictures, it seems that is not "water".

To get water into a poly you should apply waterclass to all textures covered be the poly, even partially.

The poly divide the water from the land.

Using a alpha mask, if there's already waterclass, you get water (in the sea). But if the mask goes into where there was land before, you should apply waterclass also, to cover the terrain. The shoreline will divide the land from the water, but only show water if you put the waterclass you want there waterclass.

Regards,

José

J.F.Lôbo

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Well what I did here was use a named water texture for the VTP at a layer of 8. I tried using the Classes option 123 and 124 for the Ocean, but it still looks painted on. I'm stuck!! Could you tell me step by step how to get this water to blend in, in case I'm missing something. If you like I could send you my E-mail address. Thanks Jose!!

AJ

José

Post by José » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi, Weber

Please, let´s maintain our discussion on this forum, so others can help us, including Luis.

Did you read all topics about your issue?

Could you please describe what is your project and your experience with others projects in SBuilder, so we should not talk about things you already know.

I´m waiting your answears.

Regards,

José

J.F.Lôbo

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:08 am

Yeah that's not a problem. I've done other things with sbuilder like changing land textures like from city to desert and things like that, but this is first time for me to really do any major changes to a large area. I'm modifying North Island,NAS to resemble the satelite photos, in other words trying to make it as real as possible. I'm not totally new to scenery design, but there are a lot of things I don't know. Just moving the coastline to the area I need for it to be and blend in with the surrounding water has me stumped and I know there is an easy fix to it. Maybe I'm not using the right program, I'm not sure.

AJ

José

Post by José » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:14 am

Hi, Weber

You're using the right and the best program to do that. As Luis teached in the post I pointed out, if you do a shoreline with the same name as the original, the new compiled line will sustitute the old. To see the name of the original line, you must to <b>APPEND</b> to SBuilder the hpXXXXXX.BGL of the area you're working and identify the line you want to edit.

You can move the shoreline to the sea or to the land.

Moving to the sea, the area between the shoreline and the land should be filled with landclass;

Moving to land direction, the area between the shoreline and the sea should be filled with waterclass;

You can also make a LWM poly, with this area format, and masking it as water or landclass, just to cover the region the you want to show correctly.

I hope you're understanding the logical issues from my explanation better than my poor English can describe.

Regards,

JOsé

J.F.Lôbo

José

Post by José » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi, Weber

I think your island is the one in this image:

[img]http://www.ptsim.com/forum/uploaded/Jos ... 6_NI_1.jpg[/img]

The FS 9 files containing the polys covering that área you can find at:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Ocen\scenery

Or in other folder you've installed FS 9.

They are:

Column 93 Column 94 Column 95
HP994440.bgl Line 44
HP994450.bgl HP995450.blg Line 45
HP993460.bgl HP994460.bgl Line 46

etc.,

HP9CCLL0.bgl

In the above name you can identify the column (CC) and the line (LL) numbers of the files to be appended to cover the whole area.

After appending the files, you'll see the original polys on that area, with part of South Island

[img]http://www.ptsim.com/forum/uploaded/Jos ... ppend2.jpg[/img]

This means a great work to modify all shorelines, which are into the files HL9CCLL0.blg, that should be append, too.

try to see this image with lines and polys to be modified.

Regards,

José

J.F.Lôbo

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Hey thanks Jose. But the "North Island I'm working on is in San Diego, California. The name is "North Island, NAS, it's a Navy base. I really do appreciate your help on this thing.

José

Post by José » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi, Weber

Those rules are generic and apply to that island, too.

José

J.F.Lôbo