Photo Scenery

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
ajweber

Photo Scenery

Post by ajweber » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 pm

I'm in the process of modifying a Naval Airstation in FS9, {North Island,NAS} and I had a problem redefining the coastline. I was able to overcome that problem, but now there is another. I want to use satelite photo scenery for the base terrain and using the photo scenery option in SBuilder has gotten only partial results. The scenery consist of land and water, so I need a lot of alpha channel photo tiles to cover the water area's. I have a folder named photo bmp's in my main Sbuilder folder that i have the LOD13 pictures stored that I use for this one project. They are 32bit with Alpha channel. When I generate the BGL's for all seasons with Alpha channel, Flight Simulator crashes when I try to goto the area of the scenery. When I generate BGL's for just Summer, it crashes I went into the Scenery/World/texture folder and changed the 8 bit bit maps using DXTbmp into Alpha channel manually, and Flight Simulator will goto the area, but only run for about 2 minutes before I get a C++ runtime error message saying "pure virtual call R6025" or something like that. This is very frustrating and I need help getting this problem solved. Can Luis or somebody tell me what I need to do to correct this problem.?

AJ

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:20 am

Sounds like you are creating 4.8m photoreal terrain mesh. Not sure where you are putting your bgl files as you do not say but put those in the FS9/ADDON Scenery/Your Scenery Name/Scenery folder. If you don't have a folder created for your scenery, create one such as "NAS - North Island" or whatever and activate it through FS9. And leave your bmp's in the main Scenery/World/texture folder where you have them. Give that a try.

Is that NAS - North Island in San Diego, California?

Clutch
Project 9 dragons

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:41 am

As a matter of fact it is North Island,NAS in San Diego. I put the VTPH BGL's in my scenery folder of North Island, I have to delete the PHOTO bgl's because I get mysterious big green lines that show up. The only way I can create bgl's and be able to goto the scenery is to set it to Summer only and then go into scenery/world/texture change the bitmaps to 8 bit with alpha manually, and then flight simulator only runs for about a minute or two and then I get the C++ runtime error.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 am

" As a matter of fact it is North Island,NAS in San Diego"

Ah nice to hear since I live in San Diego. Yea, those Photo bgl's are only if you are creating Hi-Resolution photo terrain like 1.2m. Sounds like you are doing things right from this end. A few suggestions:

1. Start with a small area. Just 1 or 2 bmps to try to solve the crash.
2. Use just _SU for right now for all seasons and night to limit the variables. In fact, for me I have been just using _SU and not even creating the other seasons for my area. And San Diego really only needs a SU and a Lm. As you know out terrain doesn't change that much unless we get a good rain and everything turns green.

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:10 am

I was stationed at Baloa Naval Hospital. The only reason I try to use multiple seasons is that if I only use summer it won't compile. Here is a photo of the scenery after I compile using all seasons with alpha. The next photo is the error message I got after about 1 minute running the simulator in that scenery.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:15 am

You must be at your PC like me right now... busy modeling. Well, if you want to email me the files (the bgls,scm's and the bmp's) I'll load it up and see if it crashes on my system.

socalmarcus@yahoo.com

Clutch
www.MileHighProductions.cwhnetworks.com

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:44 am

Hello

Thank you Clutch for helping AJ. I hope the problem will be sorted out!

Regards, Luis

José

Post by José » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:46 am

Hi, Weber,

Let me explain my experience with phototextures. When SBuilder compiles phototextures there are twoo kind of files:
the *.bgl that call the textures and th textures that should be instaled in the folder \Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture

Well, sometimes, when you made another compilation and different textures are created, if you do not remember to delete the old *.bgl that call the textures that no more exists in the proper folder, FS 9 crashes.

So, changing the area format and recompiling, don't forget to delete the old textures and the old bgl, too.

I hope this could help you.

José

J.F.Lôbo

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:55 am

Hey ponyboy, the files are on the way. Jose, yeah everytime I compile I go through the sbuilder/work folder and delet the texures, the scenery/world/texture folder and delete and the scenery folder and delete all of the bgl's

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:42 am

Well, if ou sent them, I never got them. Maybe try again?

ajweber

Post by ajweber » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 am

I'm trying to send them again through mailbigfile.com

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Hey Aj, just wondering if you ever got my email with your files attached? I did get it to compile. Granted, it had a few minor issues with the way you had settings but it does work and looks pretty good.

Clutch
Project 9 Dragons