Luis' google maps for SBuilder web page problem

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
fredz

Luis' google maps for SBuilder web page problem

Post by fredz » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 am

Luis, Have you used this capture set-up lately? http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps.asp
Last time I used it in August, it worked fine. Tried to capture a pic yesterday and today and when I click 'New Window', I get a screen full of the same message repeated over and over:
'we are sorry, but we don't have maps at this zoom level for this region. Try zooming out for a broader look.' I have tried at all levels from surface to continent wide - same results. Found this on the Google Web Site -
We've released revision 2.67 of API v2.
API v2 Current: 2.67
API v2 Default: 2.66

Is it possible that this has changed something that your are not aware of? I do not do much scenery design, but when I do, I really like SBuilder. Thank you for all your hard work.
Later,
Fred Z.

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer

igallacher

Post by igallacher » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 am

Hi Luis & Fred

Yes I am now having problems that I did not have before with this version.
The boundaries box will not stay in the the map window when you move the cursor. This has always happened with gmaps version 2 but not until very recently with gmaps version 1.
I also can't now access the 'satellite' facility, only the 'map'. Both these facilities can be accessed with version 2.

Iain
Scotflight Scenery

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:15 pm

This version works on my system:

http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps_v2a.asp

However, the boundaries box disappears with some mouse movements. I use the Print Screen key to capture the information and Paint to display the data while I apply it to a program. The only other requirement may be something like Microsoft's Net Framework 2.0 or some other specialized piece of code.

Unfortunately the area allowed at the highest resolution is so small that it does not cover even a small airport. With FSX we can now use a much larger area at a higher resolution to make photo-scenery. Because of this I am hoping for a changed in the Luis Sa program or some other program to capture large Google Earth pictures in 1 meter or better resolution.

Dick Boley near 5G8

fredz

Post by fredz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:57 am

Dick, Thanks for the info and the link. This seems to work - I get the same results with the boundries box going away, but I just write it down and then type it in. Where did you find this link? I thought I had looked over Luis' site pretty good, but could never find anything . Hope you had a good Turkey Day and didn't eat too much. :-)
Later,
Fred Z.

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:04 pm

I really do not recall where it came from. The need for an updated program is shown by FSX with its high resolution ground textures. In FS9 it was interesting to use SBuilder to get 1.2m textures. Now I can get 0.25m textures for photo-scenery/textures in FSX. Unfortunately, I have to go through a long process of several programs to achieve it. Also, the very small area the Luis program allows when capturing a picture from Google is a larger limitation now that FSX is here. However, from my experience with the FS9/1.2m stuff the Google name watermarks may become too much of a visual destruction to tolerate thus making Google a poor choice for high resolution photos.

I use Microsoft's Terraserver but the number of color high resolution photos (0.25m/pixel)locations are limited and it has has not changed for a few years. I am afraid it is stagnant. A program by JD Cox collects hundreds of the photo-tiles from Terraserver and presents them as one very wide area mosaic. San Francisco Terraserver photos are of very high quality so I have played with making that area.

Dick Boley near 5G8

fredz

Post by fredz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:35 pm

Thanks, Dick. I have no plans to upgrade to FSX [too much hardware to change/upgrade], besides, I am happy with what I have right now. For what I do in scenery design, SBuilder works fine. My problem is that I don't do it often enough, so I have to re-learn everything again. :-)
Later,
Fred Z.

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer