SBuilder for FSX

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Luis Sa

SBuilder for FSX

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:40 am

Hello,

Here is the first release of SBuilder for Flight Simulator X:

http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/setup.msi

It only deals with terrain (lines and polys) and no help documentation is available. Please note that there are many possible errors. In the next 2 weeks I will rarely visit this forum.

In order to get the map background tiles please install this toolbar:

http://www.manifold.net/toolbar/

and also install this pack:

http://www.manifold.net/toolbar/mfd-pack-1.0.1.zip

Then you need to tell SBuilder the location of the cache folders (Preferences). Yahoo!_Street_Map_Tiles are not working. I tested Google Maps (Satellite) and Live Earth (Satellite and Street Maps). For low zoom levels there should be an error because the original tiles use a Mercator projection and SBuilder expects a LatLon projection.

You can also add a Yahoo Map (Add Map) and it gets autocalibrated. In this case SBuilder reprojects from Mercator to LatLon. Unfortunately Yahoo does not permits to fetch aerial images.

Merry Christmas to all SBuilder users and many thanks for those who helped me in getting this ready (Luis, Dick, Jon, José, João, Scott).

Luis

Gridley

Post by Gridley » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:32 am

MANY THANKS for your efforts, Luis.

Happy holidays!

Best,
sg

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Thank you, Luis.

The best wishes this holiday season,

Lance

Edit: Because the fingers were working before the coffee kicked in!

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:33 am

[:)]deleted an airport boundary and it worked. Now have to put in a real boundary.

Looking at the available functions certainly shows that the new SBuilder will be a major advance!

[:)]Thanks Luis....

Dick Boley near 5G8

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boleyd</i>
<br />[:)]deleted an airport boundary and it worked. Now have to put in a real boundary.

Looking at the available functions certainly shows that the new SBuilder will be a major advance!

[:)]Thanks Luis....

Dick Boley near 5G8
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

G'day Dick,

Have not used SBuilder for some time so I'm a bit rusty using it however was able to install & get this new version running OK. Using a map from Google Earth it all seemed to be working as expected being able to see my aircraft in the right spot etc.

I tried to do some new scenery including some new coastline & canal work however all I got to work was the exclude, although that took out far more of the coastline than I expected. None of my new coastline or poly's show although they can be seen in TMFviewer.

Have you had any luck with your project?

Cheers,

Ross

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:50 am

I have not done any excludes yet since the olde ones from FS9 work in FSX. Everything else that was available seemed to work in terms of the area affected. I always work in lat/lon decimal format xxx.nnnnn.

Just a very basic reminder is to remember to use the normal file/scenery construct and register in the the FSX scenery library.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boleyd</i>
<br />

I have not done any excludes yet since the olde ones from FS9 work in FSX. Everything else that was available seemed to work in terms of the area affected. I always work in lat/lon decimal format xxx.nnnnn.

Just a very basic reminder is to remember to use the normal file/scenery construct and register in the the FSX scenery library.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Thanks for the reply Dick.

Most of my earlier work was done with another program that was available before SBuilder, & for some reason the excludes from that do not seem to work in FSX. Regardless I wanted to do some new work & as SBuilder has so many more features & Luis is activly developing it I thought I would change for my FSX work.
Thanks for the reminder on the directory file structure but I have that set up OK.
Guess I'll just have to keep fiddling. Don't expect it's a Southern Hemisphere problem.

Cheers,

Ross

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Hello,

An happy new year to all SBuilder users. I am returning to Coimbra from Paris. Right now I am at Madrid and came to a net cafe. It seems that you are not using the Google Maps (or Earth Live) as a background. Please install the Manifod toolbar and use it to look at your favorite places. This will create cache tiles which SBuilder can use.

Kind Regads,

Luis

igallacher

Post by igallacher » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Luis

I have had success with all functions so far used except the 'create a hole' in the polygon function menu. Should this work at the moment? I get message to 'click on parent polygon' which I assume means the polygon in which the hole is to be made. The shape for the hole then changes colour but when viewing the scenery the hole ( an island ) is still water with only coastline, no land.
Is there perhaps some particular part of the parent ploygon which should be clicked on or something else I am missing?

This new version is much appreciated.

Iain
Scotflight Scenery

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Hello Ian,

Yes. First you make the parent polygon and set its properties. Then you make the hole polygon. You need to set which polygon is the parent one. As you say the mouse label asks you to choose it. When you do it (by clicking on a edge of the chosen polygon) the hole (the child) inherits the properties of the parent.

I assume you are making a lake (parent) with an island on it (hole). Had you land before generating this water polygon. If so I do not understand why you get water.

Kind Regards, Luis

ps: I admit that you were able to work with Google Maps appearing as a background in the SBuilder display. Correct?

igallacher

Post by igallacher » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 am

Hi Luis

Many thanks for the quick response. Clicking on the very edge of the 'parent polygon' has done the trick and this function is now working for me. I am actually working on redrawn FS2004 coastline files exported as .BLN and appended into your new version. I have very many small coastal islands which need to be 'set as holes' so this is very good news to me!

Yes I am using Google maps as background, still using the link you introduced in your previous version.

Iain
Scotflight Scenery

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">citação:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Mensagem original de igallacher</i>
<br />

Yes I am using Google maps as background, still using the link you introduced in your previous version.

No, no! You can use the background directly in SBuilder!

Luis

igallacher

Post by igallacher » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi Luis

Yes, I am aware of your new functions for adding maps and I am sure I will benefit from this more streamlined system in time. However at the moment it's more beneficial for me to carry on using what I know best.
Looking forward to the further expansion of FSX functions within SBuilder.

Iain
Scotflight Scenery

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:52 am

Luis,

This is REALLY cool.

Very easy, the background just pops right in there.

Have drawn roads, made LandClass and also created a photo image (using Resample.exe)

I was very familiar with Ground2K4 in FS9 - but this is much better!

Geoff

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 am

I'm still having no luck in getting a background map to show properly. Is there a link to any info on how to use this? I have tried doing it via version 205 however I still cannot get it to work.
The one map I did get to show properly & appeared to match up with my aircraft position in FSX didn't show the poly's & created an exclude that removed a much larger section of the coastline than wanted.
Like Hefy_Jefy I have used Ground2K4 for most of my previous work although I did do some scenery with an earlier version of SBuilder & found it very good to use.
Have no idea how the new map system works.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ross