Problems with textures

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Pooch

Problems with textures

Post by Pooch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:40 pm

I have just started to try some scenery using Sbuilder and have the following problems:

- in VTP2-properties "classes"-textures work ok but "named" and "assembled" make my FS9 crash during terrain loading at about 50%.
I have read the post about the double ;; for "assembled" and corrected the polies.txt manually where necessary.
I tried the same textures in "Texture"-polygon and FS9 loads regular (but these polygon overlay to all others, even Afcad, so I discard them for this time).
When I change my VTP2 to "classes"-textures FS loads normally.

- the other issue is that the VTP2 polies have rough jagged borders, which is disturbing when using textures with clear contrasts (concrete ecc.- BTW I noticed that "Texture"-polies have much clearer borders with the same texture). Is there a possibilty to correct this?

I have version 2.05 revision 6 installed.

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Peter

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Hello,

Regarding the assembled/packed textures the best way is to check, manually, how the entry was added to the Polys.TXT or Lines.TXT. I think you will find here in the forum examples of named textures. The Polys/Lines that are packed with Sbuilder have at the end such examples if I recall.

Class, assembled or named are VTP2 - so that have a 4,8 m/pixel resolution, so you can not get sharp edges! They are handled (displayed) by the "terrain engine".

Textured Polygons are different. You can assume as if they were 3D objects! They are not handled by the "terrain engine". The resolution can be whatever you want!

Kind Regards,

Luis

Pooch

Post by Pooch » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 am

Obrigado Luis

my polies.txt was OK. Going through the forum I found a hint which says to use DXT1 or 8-bit textures. I tried to open the used bmp in image tool but could not open them, so probably these textures are not suitable and caused the CTD. I chose different bmp and changed them to 8-bit textures using image tool, applied them to my scenery in Sbuilder and so far I did not have anymore the CTD.

Thanks also for the clarification concerning the edges.

Bests,
Peter

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Bom dia,

It is nice to see that the problem was due to a wrong texture format!

Regards, Luis