Adding An Island Or Extending A Shore?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
boleyd

Adding An Island Or Extending A Shore?

Post by boleyd » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:57 pm

After reading the Luis Féliz-Tirado Terain tutorial I do not see any way to easily add an island in the midst of other islands or near mainland shores. The tutorial example did not address the several small islands around St. Barthélemy. They each have to be hand drawn and declared to be a hole to recreate them. Although not part of the tutorial, any mainland areas affected by the exclude require repair.

The process in FS9 worked well where the shore was a demarcation. This process seems to be more than it is worth. I wanted to fix Dutch Harbor (aka Unalaska) in the Aleutian islands. The FSX presentation is beyond reason. However, extending shorelines into the water and repairing an island in an area crowded with islands is somewhat less than fun. Until there is a way to exclude terrain using a polygon (not one that makes a giant rectangle) I will use photo-scenery and loose the winter season which is the "highlight" of this area.

Dick Boley near 5G8

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:14 am

Hi Dick.

It is true the water area removed will be, in many cases, an area clipped at QMID11. SBuilderX can set a grid to this level, and you can see the area involved.

The key to land-water masking is to understand we can only draw water in FSX. A tiny exclusion poly will remove all water polys ( and their flattens ) it intersects up to the clip of QMID11. You then need to redraw the water.

There isn't a need for a hole if you only draw the water up to the QMID11 size, in most cases. Then, you would only need a hole for areas completely enveloped by water within the QMID11 area. You can also make the watermask polys as smaller overlapping polys to lessen the tedium of drawing the large ( up to 19km ) water polys in one chunk.

Dick