Tile server problems

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
TFLeonard

Tile server problems

Post by TFLeonard » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 pm

As mentioned in Louis' message it seems that the G**gle tile server tiles don't seem to show up as consistently as the others. What I can't tell is if this is an sbuilder problem or a restriction from the tileserver. I have tried for the past two days to get new tiles from the provider and they seem to download (there's a downloading tiles message) but no tile display (just the empty boxes). Is anyone else having this problem?

I don't have any trouble downloading the tiles with Manifold toolbar, so if G**gle is restricting the tiles, its strictly with sbuilder asking for them. Is there any fix or workaround?

jecl21

Post by jecl21 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:13 am

Hello
For several days I have had exactly the same problem, I do not receive any GE tile. At home this phénomème is identical by using Manifold Toolbar. On the other hand all is ok with VE or Yahoo
It is thus more probable than it acts of a GE restriction

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Google Earth has a severe restriction on the amount of photos one can download. You can verify that Google is restricting you by going to their Maps area and you will also be restricted there.

The restriction is based upon your IP address assigned by your Internet Service Provider. The Google restriction lasts for at least 24 hours. I find that the amount of data allowed by Google to be far less than I usually need and thus almost never use them. I am sure that this meets the objectives of their accounting department.

There is considerable concern that Yahoo and Virtual Earth may also invoke a similar scheme. Since Virtual Earth is a Microsoft enterprise, if there is a problem with restrictions in the future, we may have some influence relative to its management.

Dick Boley near 5G8

GaryGB

Post by GaryGB » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Dick:

I posted on this topic here as well: http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1066

Could you describe in a bit more specific detail how one might identify where and how an imagery provider might actually be trying to restrict one's downloads? [?]

Thanks for your further observations on this! [:)]

GaryGB

TFLeonard

Post by TFLeonard » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Since the manifold toolbar doesn't seem to have restrictions on downloading tiles, I'm wondering if there is not something really wrong with sbuilderX. Afterall, my IP address is the same.

Does anyone know if the tiles downloaded by the manifold toolbar can be used with sbuilderX?

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 pm

The Manifold tiles and the SBuilder X tiles are exactly the same, except for the way they are named.

I shall present a small and simple utility that renames Manifold tiles for use with SBuilder X as soon as possible.

Best regards.

Luis

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks!

I recently had problems with Google sattelite. I got no images in Manifold, nor in SBuilder. It is ok now...SBuilder at least. What I whished for was to again have the ability to go back to a Manifold cache like in the first SBuilderx version, instead of having to be online. There are many vulnerabilities with being online...should the line be gone for some reason...I can`t get my imagery.

Cheers,

TFLeonard

Post by TFLeonard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks Luis for the conversion utility. That maybe the solution to this problem.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:12 am

Hello,

In order to reuse tiles obtained with the manifold toolbar, get these tools:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=105894

Regards,

Luis

TFLeonard

Post by TFLeonard » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:35 pm

A suggestion for Luis: Add an option in the preferences of SbuilderX to have the manifold cache folder checked for tiles before going to fetch them from the internet. That should help use the Google alotment more wisely, by saving the Google requests for new tiles only.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello,

That option would be difficult to implement. If you get the small programme from AVSIM you can rename the tiles stored in the Manifold cache folders and move them to the SBuilderX cache folders without problem. If you think that you prefer to use the Manifold toolbar you can use it and, in the end:

- run the small tool to rename the tiles
- copy the tiles to the SBuilderX folders

Kind Regards,

Luis

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Luis,

I can`t get Man2SBuilder to work. I convert my Manifold Google Sattelite imagery to SBuilder standard all right, and move all the renamed files from the SBXTILES folder to Sbuilderx\Tiles\GoogleSattelite. But SBuilder ignores them and downloads empty new Google tiles instead.

Cheers,

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Hello,

You can create a TEST folder and place there a single Manifold Tile. Then run the small utility and get the new renamed tile. Paste here both the original name and the transformed name. I or Luis Feliz will check if the names correspond to each other!

Regards, Luis

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:43 pm

I just did the test.

The original Google Sattelite file: L0X68475Y39336.jpg
The file renamed with GSAT2SBX: L18X68475Y39336.jpg

Cheers (and thx for looking into this)

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:03 am

Hello,

Thanks. I will try to see if these 2 tiles correspond to each other! Please wait.

Luis