SBuilderX x64 Install

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
AirCoaster

SBuilderX x64 Install

Post by AirCoaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi gang,

I am having a bit of a problem installing SBuilderX on my Windows XP Pro x64 system. SBuilderX looks for an install of FSX, and I am pretty sure it is looking for it in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ directory, not really sure, but it never finds what it is looking for. I have two installs, one registered, and one not, one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\ (registered), and the other in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ (not registered) directories. Still no joy with the program starting. I also tried adding the registry information manually for the install at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\, which is the x64 directory for programming, not the WOW directory thinking that the SBuilderX was looking specifically for C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X, and not just for any install of FSX in any directory. SBuilderX doesn't allow you to select the install directory, or at least the version I have doesn't. I have FSX Deluxe SP1, and FSX SDK SP1 install in both locations.

I was wondering if anyone has a clue what I could do to get SBuilderX installed properly.

Take Care, AirCoaster

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 pm

Hello,

I am not familiar with the x64 system. SBuilderX reads the registry to check for the presence of FSX and the SDK tools. I suggest that you create dummy entries in the registry. Please see the relevant routines below. I hope you understand the code.

Kind Regards,

Luis

Code: Select all

Private Sub CheckFS10()

Dim C As String

FSXExists = False
        FSPath = ""
        FSPath = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0", "SetupPath", Nothing)
        If FSPath = "" Then
            MsgBox("FSX could not be found in this computer!", 16, AppTitle)
        Else
            FSTextureFolder = FSPath & "\Scenery\World\Texture\"
            If Not My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(FSPath & "terrain.cfg") Then
                C = "The Windows Registry indicates that FSX is in the folder:" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
                C = C & FSPath & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
                C = C & "but SBuilder could not find it there!"
                MsgBox(C, 16, AppTitle)
            Else
                FSXExists = True
            End If
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub CheckFSXTools()

Dim B, C As String
        Dim ToolsFolder As String

ToolsFolder = AppPath & "\Tools\"
        FSXTools = False
        If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(ToolsFolder & "shp2vec.exe") _
         And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(ToolsFolder & "resample.exe") _
         And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(ToolsFolder & "bglcomp.exe") _
         And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(ToolsFolder & "bglcomp.xsd") _
         And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(ToolsFolder & "imagetool.exe") Then
            FSXTools = True
            SDKPath = ""
            SDKPath = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK", "SetupPath", Nothing)
            If SDKPath <> "" Then
                SDKTerrain = SDKPath & "SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\"
                SDKBglComp = SDKPath & "SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\"
            End If
            Exit Sub
        End If

SDKPath = ""
        SDKPath = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK", "SetupPath", Nothing)
        If SDKPath = "" Then
            C = "ImageTool, Shp2Vec, Resample & BGLComp do not exist in the ..\SBuilder\Tools folder and"
            C = C & vbCrLf & "the Terrain SDK could not be found in this computer! Some BGL files can not be generated!"
            MsgBox(C, 16, AppTitle)
        Else
            SDKTerrain = SDKPath & "SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\"
            SDKBglComp = SDKPath & "SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\"
            If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(SDKTerrain & "shp2vec.exe") _
            And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(SDKTerrain & "resample.exe") _
            And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(SDKBglComp & "bglcomp.exe") _
            And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(SDKBglComp & "bglcomp.xsd") _
            And My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(SDKTerrain & "imagetool.exe") Then

B = SDKTerrain & "shp2vec.exe"
                C = ToolsFolder & "shp2vec.exe"
                File.Copy(B, C, True)
                B = SDKTerrain & "resample.exe"
                C = ToolsFolder & "resample.exe"
                File.Copy(B, C, True)
                B = SDKTerrain & "imagetool.exe"
                C = ToolsFolder & "imagetool.exe"
                File.Copy(B, C, True)

B = SDKBglComp & "bglcomp.exe"
                C = ToolsFolder & "bglcomp.exe"
                File.Copy(B, C, True)
                B = SDKBglComp & "bglcomp.xsd"
                C = ToolsFolder & "bglcomp.xsd"
                File.Copy(B, C, True)

FSXTools = True
            Else
                C = "Shp2Vec, ImageTool, Resample & BGLComp do not exist in the ..\SBuilder\Tools folder and"
                C = C & vbCrLf & "the Terrain SDK could not be found in this computer! Some BGL files can not be generated!"
                MsgBox(C, 16, AppTitle)
            End If
        End If

End Sub

jdhaenens

Post by jdhaenens » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Luis,

The registry path for an X64 FSX install is as follows:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0"

PID is 83884-104-2696444-70960

SetupPath is C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

For the SDK:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK"

SdkRootDir is C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\

SetupPath is C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\

32 bit applications are found in the "Program Files (X86)" folder and I'm not sure if a dummy entry in the 64 bit side of the registry would work.

Hope this helps. I would be willing to beta a 64 bit install.

Jim

jdhaenens

Post by jdhaenens » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 pm

Luis,

Looks like I was a couple days late. I found instructions on how to do the dummy entries on FS Developer.com. Apparently it does work[:)] Thanks!

Jim