Cutting Out The Ocean

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
BillyMurphy

Cutting Out The Ocean

Post by BillyMurphy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 pm

I am making some photoscenery for an Island and I'd wanna remove the ocean becuase what happens is that I have some dark blue sea but then it goes back to light using the default ocean where I haven't got the photo for that area and don't want it becuase it's in the middle of the Atlantic. So is there a way of when I compile the photoscenery it doesn't pick up the ocean?

Cheers,

Billy

P.s I had a look in the tutorial that I got from AVSIM but it didn't help me too much.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Hello Billy

If I understand you:

1 - You want the dark water from the photo imagery to show
2 - Therefore you will get an abrupt transition when your picture ends.

You can minimize the effect by making a blending mask. Take a copy of your original image. Convert it to 8-bit black and white and save it as TIF image. Then paint the center with pure white (ofully opaque) and the borders with black (transparent). Make a gradient transition from white to black. Then save the result in the Work folder with a name ending with _B and see Luis tutorial for more help...

... The other thing you could do is to make a water class scenery and chosing a tile that resembles your water. The class tiles have already have blending.

Regards,

Luis