Creating photoreal scenery of big areas

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Nick-S

Creating photoreal scenery of big areas

Post by Nick-S » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:09 am

Hi,

first of all, SBuilderX is a really cool software! Is there any possibility to automatically download large areas from "Virtual Earth" or "Google Earth" at, let's say, a zoom level of 16? At this point, the only way is to do this is to scroll "through the country" step by step at zoom level 16 and to click "File" -> "Add Map" -> "From background..." each time. That isn't really user-friendly, I think. [:)]

Sorry for this kind of english... [:I]

Nick

inca

Post by inca » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi,

I have made a scenery covering a very large surface. The level is very high ( zoom 15 ).
I have used close to 900 pictures (43000 tiles)... +/- 900 bgl files.
When a project comes around 100 pictures, SBuilderX shows a message "out of memory" and crash. So, I needed to make 10 different projects of 100 bgl separetely and put all together at the end.
I didn't find any other way that proceed each of the 900 pictures one by one like you deplored in your present post. It's a lot of lost time and that is realy not "friendly". <font color="red">I hope that the next version of SBuilderX will made that procedure automatically.</font id="red">
I need to retouch some tiles in a graphic program, but I don't know if its possible to save only "tiles" or if I have to save the complete pictures (zoom 15 / 7x5 tiles) in the GEOTIFF size ?

JP

kjb

Post by kjb » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:34 am

You can grab larger areas once SBX has 'seen' and cached the photos. What I've done is move around the area I want at zoom level 15, then zoom out to level 13. Select File/Add Map/From Background and use the 28 x 20 at Zoom = 15 option. If you wanted to use zoom level 16, you'd use the 56 x 40 at Zoom = 16 option. By doing this, you grab a larger area at the resolution you want.

I have a large area in place that uses 36 of the 28 x 20 tiles, which each compile to a separate BGL file. I have four of the 28 x 20 BMPs in each SBX file, and nine SBX files. If I tried to do more in each SBX file, then SBX seemed to run out of resources and had trouble displaying the BMPs. One thing I've done that helps me keep things in order is to draw a polygon for the area I'm working on and the areas I've finished. I set the transparency to 70% or so for the active area. That helps me avoid overlapping tiles and working on areas I've already done.

inca

Post by inca » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Thank you " kjb " for your reply.
Your explanations are greatly useful !

JP

mknorr

Post by mknorr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:13 am

I have used Google Maps Image downloader (GMID) to get an area of interest to me. The naming convention is somewhat different. For instance, a level 18 tile called 240873_104223.jpg in GMID is called L17X240873Y157920.jpg in SBuilderX. So the X is the same but the Y is very different. In SBuilder the Y reduces going North from below the equator where GMID ones go up. I have several hundred images at level 18 (Which SBuilder calls 17) and want to use them. Is there any way of importing them? Perhaps a script that renames them?

Thank you very much for any help provided.