Default scenery

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
xhenry

Default scenery

Post by xhenry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi all!

I am having some problems with a scenery im tying to create and am just about at the point of pulling my hair out. :-)

I have an area of ve tiles approximately 100 x 175 miles at zoom 12...
however when I compile the scenery, it is visible, but a large area directly below the aircraft shows default scenery (and autogen??) instead of the phototiles.

I think it has something to do with the LOD, as in my inf, when I use LOD= Auto this happens. But when I used say LOD= 10 or 13 the scenery shows up in patches and is not as crisp as the auto tag...

Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated!
Xavier

scott967

Post by scott967 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:15 am

Take a look at your bgl in tmfviewer. See what LOD levels have been created. I'm just guessing, but I imagine your photoscene has a max LOD of maybe 12 or 13, and your have your texture resolution set to 1m in FSX, so that the game is looking for LOD 15 which your photo isn't giving. If that is correct you can try setting LOD=4,15 and see how that works. Of course, this will mean over-sampling your source tiles so it won't be as good as the default resolution (again assuming you have your slider at 1m).

scott s.

xhenry

Post by xhenry » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:20 am

thanks for the response!

Actually Im not trying to create high resolution scenery at this point...
the resolution I am after here is somewhere on the order of 10-20m per pixel to cover vast expanses of the fs world, such as the imagery when using sbuilderx at a qmid of 12.

But I run into the problem of the area disappearing right beneath the airplane still...

xhenry

Post by xhenry » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:20 am

I Think i got it fixed somehow, not a proper fix, but it works none the less...

As you suggested I changed in the FSX display settings, my texture resolution from 7cm to 10 meters and nos the scenery shows up properly.

Now i am trying to find out if there is a way that this can be done from within the inf file or do i still have to sample the imagery at LOD 14 for this to work?

Thanks in advance,
Xavier

scott967

Post by scott967 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Don't know what would be best. Actually, I am surprised that FSX works in this way. What little photo work I have done is for small areas using 30cm source data, so I haven't seen the problem you have discovered. You might try posting to fsdeveloper.com, maybe more people can see it and offe some ideas.

scott s.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:28 pm

The new FS X custom ground textures work differently from FS 9 techniques.

Now, all LOD levels are included in the bgl. This saves the computer from having to calculate them at runtime, with the consequent lowering of performance.

So, when compiling the bgl, it is always best to use the key, "LOD=Auto".

BGLComp will automatically calculate the range of LOD levels for that image.

If restricting the LOD to only one level, such as "LOD= 10", then that is the only one that will be included in the bgl, and that is probably not what you want.

If you absolutely want some type of control (for whatever reason) over the LODs in the bgl, then you should indicate a range of levels, for example: "LOD=3,15".

Best regards.

Luis