Install problems

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Jive1

Install problems

Post by Jive1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:55 am

Hey!
I've recently installed SBuilderX? At least, I tried to...
After installation, which seemed to have been OK at the beginning, but when I try to start SBX it tells me all the time the following:"Image Tool, Shp2Vec, Resample & BGL Comp do not exist in the ..\SBuilder\Tools folder and the Terrain SDK could not be found in this computer! Some BGL files can not be generated!"
Where are these items supposed to be placed? Because I did put them all in the SBuilderX Tools folder, tried also when placing them in the main folder, but always it keeps on telling me that these items are missing.
Can anybody tell me what I should do now?
Greetz
Jive1

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Hello,

SBuilderX should copy the files from the SDK default folder into its own folder (the one it tells). Have you the deluxe FSX version? The SDK comes with it.

Kind Regards,

Luis

Jive1

Post by Jive1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Hey! Luis Sa,
Thank you for the reaction...
The thing is however, that I did install the SDK in a non default folder, so the SBuilderX maybe did not find the SDK folder. And after install I tried to copy the terrain SDK into the SBuilderX main folder, but apparently this is not the right way to do. So I tried also to put the SDK into the Tools folder of SBuilderX, but this was not correct neighter...
So my question may thus be: what and whereto exactly should I copy from the FSX SDK folder?
Greetz
Jive1

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Hello,

You should fix your registry as it points to the location where the SDK should exist and it does not exist there.

Yes, you can copy manually the files to the Tools folder and SBuilderX will be happy. Please see:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1156

and look to the code that checks for the presence of the SDK tools.

Regards,

Luis

Jive1

Post by Jive1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Hey! Thank you for the hint, Luis,
The registry was fixed....
After re-installing SBuilderX as well, everything works fine now!
Thank You!
Greetz
Jive1

toelg

Post by toelg » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Fs-friends,

first thanks for this great tool and the tutorials ! I already look forward to fly over the real world of FSX.

But I have also the problem, that SBX can't find the path. The meaassage is:

" The Windows Registry indicates that FSX is in the Folder C:\FlightSimulator X but SBuilder could not find it there !"

I have the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK at:
C:\Programme\Microsoft Games

And the FSX at: C:\FlightSimulator X

I tried already to copy the Flight Simulator X SDK to the C:\FlightSimulator X - Folder and reinstalled SBX, but all fails.

So what can I do ?

Best regards
Dietmar

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Hello Dietmar,

(Did we exchange e-correspondence about scenery design before?)

Please search this forum with keywords like REGISTRY REGEDIT and may be you find a post by me where I tell the exact code that SBuilder performs when it checks for the presence of FSX.

It reads the registry to get the FSX folder and as per what you say that is fine. Then it goes to that folder and checks if the file SCENERY.CFG (or is it TERRAIN.CFG? I have not the code with me at this right moment) exists in that folder. If it does not exists it will give you the referred to message.

Please check what I am saying before we go further ...

Kind Regards,

Luis

toelg

Post by toelg » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Hi Luis,

> (Did we exchange e-correspondence about scenery design before?)

Yes indeed, and it was very long before ! And I'm glad, that You remember. I remember well too, even it's nearly 10 Years ago ! It disturbed me very much at that time, that the airports of the Fs98 were almost empty. So I was glad, that You provided me with .r8-files for static aircrafts, and I was very happy (and proud) as You have painted a Lufthansa 737 espacially for me. I've placed them at several Fs98-airports with Your tools (the files are still at Flightsim.com). At the momment, I find, it also fascinating just the same as at that time, the idea to fly over a real world at the FSX. (But it seems much more difficult.)

Back to my actual problem : I can say, that my FSX is in the folder, which is written in the registry (found by Regedit.exe)

SetupPath Reg_SZ C:\Flight Simulator X

But as You said, SBX is searching for the scenery.cfg, I just found out that, that there are two for the FSX : One scenery.cfg is in the main-folder (C:\Flight Simulator X) and the other is at (in german):

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\AllUsers\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\FSX

It seems, that this second secenery.cfg is used by FSX, because there are some entries of Aerosoft-Addons, which are used.

Is it possible, that that is the reason for the install-problem, as SBX needs the right scenery.cfg-path ?

Best regards
Dietmar

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:00 am

Hi,

Yes I remember as well writing to you from Brazil where I was that time ...

Regarding the install problem here is the part that gives the error:

Code: Select all

Private Sub CheckFS10()

Dim C As String

FSXExists = False
        FSPath = ""
        FSPath = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0", "SetupPath", Nothing)
        If FSPath = "" Then
            MsgBox("FSX could not be found in this computer!", 16, AppTitle)
        Else
            FSTextureFolder = FSPath & "\Scenery\World\Texture\"
            If Not My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(FSPath & "terrain.cfg") Then
                C = "The Windows Registry indicates that FSX is in the folder:" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
                C = C & FSPath & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
                C = C & "but SBuilder could not find it there!"
                MsgBox(C, 16, AppTitle)
            Else
                FSXExists = True
            End If
        End If

End Sub
Therefore you should check what the registry contains at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0", "SetupPath"

and then check if the terrain.cfg exists on that folder.

Can you check?

Best Regards,

Luis

toelg

Post by toelg » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Luis,

I've searched by "rededit.exe" and I found :

LastKey REG_SZ Arbeitsplatz\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0

But there is no path behind.

When I klick at the left tree at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.... \ Flight Simulator\10.0, it appears :

And that's really the path of my FSX, and here is also the the terrain.cfg.

But as You wrote, SBX needs the FSX-path, only to copy some files, may be I can solve the problem by copying the files manuelly. At this case, it would be kind, if You could explain, which files I have to copy from the FSX- to the SBX-folders.

Best regards
Dietmar

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:50 am

Hello,

I would create the missing entry in the register in order to avoid future problems with other addons.

But you could copy the files manually. Please see this topic and look for the code. It should be easy to understand which files need to be copied:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1156

Kind Regards.

Luis

toelg

Post by toelg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Luis,

thanks, problem is solved ! I did in order as Joe W. wrote in another post :

I added the little key "\" at:

to

SetupPath Reg_SZ C:\Flight Simulator X\

Now it seems that the intitalization of SBX works well, and I can conitnue to the next part (photograph the world) .....! [:)]

Thanks again!
Dietmar