Google Earth satellite pictures

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Jive1

Google Earth satellite pictures

Post by Jive1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Hey!
I'm trying to work now with SBuilderX. So far I had the following problem...
Before I want really to start designing, I want to be sure that I will have all tiles of a certain area that my project will cover. That means tiles of various details of parts of the same area.
When I started downloading the tiles from Google satellite, all went well, but after some time I can't download any more tiles when I try to have other areas more detailed.
Each time when I try to get some more tiles down, I can see, down left in the design area, that some stuff is being download, but I can't find it in the folder where it should arrive.
I have now 1785 jpg tiles in the Google satellite tiles folder. Is there a limit in number of units that one can download, or is there a reason why downloading more tiles is not possible?
Greetz
Jive1

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Jive1.

The problem is with Google... not with SBuilderX. They will restrain your internet address from collecting tiles. I don't know at what point they do this, but they will do it.

I've tried to get around this by installing Google Earth, and running it before SbuilderX. I don't think this helped, but it won't hurt.

I don't think most internet connections allow you to change your ISP, so we're stuck with this. Fortunately, we do have other servers to use.

Dick

Jive1

Post by Jive1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:53 pm

Hey!
I can understand that....
But, I can see each time down left in the design area that someting is being download, and the message down left is exactly telling me how many tiles are being download. So, somewhere on my PC they should be found, somewhere, maybe under a different name, in a specific folder, or even in the Recycle map, they have to be. If this is not the case, Google is cheating and hurting me, because I pay my provider for the amount of data that I download, and these downloads from Google I cannot use them but I have to pay for them!
This would not be faiar!
Greetz
Jive1

Jive1

Post by Jive1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Hey! rhumbaflappy,

Two things....
1. I did the same test with VESatellite, and the same as with Google Earth Satellite, the downloads stopped at appr. 35Mb . After I had 35Mb tiles both refused to give me more.
With YahooSatellite the same effect, but there the downloads stopped with 17.5Mb. They are even less generous....hehe!
2. The quality of GESatellite is far better than the quality of the other servers, supported by SBuilderX.

So I am not happy with the way Google does. For designing landclass sceneries GE is the best!
Greetz
Jive1