.bgl-files ?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
toelg

.bgl-files ?

Post by toelg » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Hello scenery-workers !

Yesterday I have built my first .bgl's, and I could see them even in flight [:)] ! But as I looked at my Scenery-folder, I've been frightened about the size of the bgl-files : each .bgl is 9 - 11 MB for an aera about 1300 x 750 m ! I have built the .bgl's direct from the background at zoom 16.

Is this normal, or do I have some other things to do, to reduce the size ? (the .bgl's at the FSX are by far smaller)

At this occasion still another question: I add the areas on the edges one to one with a little overlay, to be sure, to have no gaps. Can I make this that way, or must the next area put on the edge without overlapping quite exactly (which would be hard) ?

Greetings from Germany !
Dietmar

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:24 pm

In the SBX folder look at the ".INI" file. Then look at this section.

[Tiles]
compression quality=100
HardWinterVariations=January
WinterVariations=December,February,March
FallVariations=October,November
SpringVariations=April,May,June
SummerVariations=July,August,September
ReprojectMercatorTiles=True
ActiveTileFolder=VirtualEarthSatellite

Change [Tiles]
CompressionQuality=100
to 85. The picture remains at good quality but smaller BGL size.

Dick Boley near 5G8

toelg

Post by toelg » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Dick,

thanks for Your reply ! Now the size of the .bgl-files is nearly ten times smaller then before (about 1MB). [:)]

Now next problem is, to scan and compile the large numbers of tiles. At the moment, I do it by calculating. For example : I add 22' to the the current position to north for the next tile, then point to it by "SBX / View / Go to Position .... " and compile it from the background. You can imagine how much work this is.

I hope that Luis can provide us with a tool for the automation at a further SBX-version. If I understood him right in another post, he is working on that already.

Have nice Sunday !
Dietmar

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 am

Hi Dietmar,

Hum! You can create (and save) a map from background with an higher resolution (Zoom) than the background that you are seeing. Please read Luis Feliz Tirado tutorial.

I could not dedicate the weekend to SBX so that map tool is not ready!

Kind Regards,

Luis

toelg

Post by toelg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi Luis,

thank's for the note, I had already noticed that. Unfortunately I cannot use this feature (Add Map / From background) since my RAM is probably too small (1GB). During compiling this error message always appears:

"Can not display maps! Map View was turned OFF !"

So I have to compile it direct from background. However, I think, the best way would be as You planned, to scan and compile the maps with a command by a predefined area. Maybe You can divide the process up into several operations, so that it can be handeled also by weak computers as mine.... [8)]

Have a nice Week !
Dietmar