"Add Map" Error.

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
bassgeo

"Add Map" Error.

Post by bassgeo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Luis check this error message please!

http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/bass/sbx2008/sbx2008.html
Happy new Year to All!!

Panos M Georgotas

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Hello Panos

Happy New Year!!! Glad you find Cantasia useful (I admit you followed my link!)

Concerning your problem I see that your image is very large. I am using DotNet internal routines to handle images. At lest 4 bytes per pixel are needed to hold a bitmap which gives a total of 1075498776 bytes.

On the other hand I see you have a very powerful system. At the moment I have no SBuilderX in the computer that I am using to post this. I will (you can do it as well) load say a 200MB image (or one that SBX accepts) and would look to the Task Manager to see the increase in system memory that occurs when the image is added to SBuilderX. I think that SBuilder does not need to have the image in memory. On the other hand SBuilder reads the type, the height, the width, ... of the image. I do not know if those readings force the image to be completely stored in memory.

Then there is the display. If you are in detailed Zoom only a partial region of the image is copied to the display. I think that the image is completed copied to memory and then only the visible part remains. But I need to test with the 200MB image ... please wait ... I will be testing "big" images in SBuilderX and I will report here what I find.

Kind Regards,

Luis

bassgeo

Post by bassgeo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Hello Luis,
Thank you for your quick response!
With smaller images (100 or 150 mb), there's no problem.
I'll keep on trying!
Regards,
p.s. Camtasia is a nice tool!!

Panos M Georgotas

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:02 am

Hello Panos,

I created an image with 10.000 x 15.000 pixels. I saved as JPEG, GIF and BMP. Their sizes were (more or less) in the disk: 2KB, 2MB and 300MB.

Then I started SBuilderX and create an empty project. At this stage I opened the TaskManager. My RAM is 1GB. The RAM used was 378MB. Then I made 3 things:

a) add a map and point to the GIF. My PC almost sheared! RAM used rised to 1,02GB for a moment and then came down to 660MB! I could calibrate (which I have not done ...). Then when I zoom in and the RAM used rises to 1,02GB for a moment and returns to 660MB. Even when only a detail of the map is on the screen 660MB are in use. Press New Project and

b) RAM used returned to 378MB. Add the JPEG image. The RAM used raises to 842 and settles down in 460MB. At each Zoom change it goes to 840MB and returns to 460MB. Then Press New Project and

c) load the BMP. The error message (I have written it but do not remember) appears. SBuilder does not crashes but the RAM in use is 652MB. I open the Project Properties and there is ONE MAP! But I can not see it. I Zoom out at Zoom=0 to see where it was placed but a message tells me that Map Display was turned off!

Conclusion: I have a test case to examine! I will report further on this!

Kind Regards,

Luis