SHP woes

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
meshman

SHP woes

Post by meshman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:46 am

Hello Luis,

I'm trying to utilize a SHP file in a project and have run into a situation that stymies me. First, I do an exclusion to rid the default water. Then I go and make a new polygon, Hydro Perennial. Here I'm Appending the SHP file for coastlines, but I can't find the key to get it tagged as a hole. If I do the above process, but manually add the coastline, right clicking brings me the choice to mark the last poly as a hole, indicating the parent poly.

I'm hoping I missed a step, as utilizing the SHP file will save me quite a few clicks of the mouse.

Thanks,
Lance

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Lance,

I am not following you ... you say that you append a SHP file which contains lines (I assume that the shape file is not ready tagged - that is ready to be compiled). I do not understand the relation between a hole and coastlines.

Please clarify,

Regards, Luis

meshman

Post by meshman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:28 pm

My apologies Luis, I'll try to explain my scenario a little better and see if SBX can do the work for me.

I'm following the steps contained in the tutorial by Luis Féliz-Tirado for an existing island in FSX. So far this is my approach;

1. Draw a polygon encompassing the island, tagging with Exclude_All_Water_Polygons

2. Draw a new, larger polygon to bring back the water, tagging with Hydro_Generic_Ocean_Perennial

3. At this point I APPEND a SHP <b>polygon</b> file that contains a more accurate land mass detail for the island. It's this SHP polygon that I would like to be tagged as a hole polygon, to the parent polygon created in step 2.

I want to clarify that my initial posting should not have implied that I want this SHP file to serve as coastlines. Those are seperate and distinct from what I'm doing now and I regret if my terminology caused any confusion. I'm wishing for the SHP polygon to represent the new land mass for the island

Following the first two steps above and then <b>manually</b> creating a new polygon allows me to set the third polygon to be the hole of step 2's parent polygon, but I haven't been able to achieve that using a SHP polygon file.

I hope that explains a little better what I'm trying to accomplish? My SHP file experience is about two weeks old and very, very limited in scope. But the ability to utilize some SHP files would save me a tremendous amount of mouse clicks![:D]

Thank you for your assistance, Luis.

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Hello Lance,

No problem about the first post.

Yes, I created a simple poly (poly A) and exported it as a shape file. Then started a new project, made a large poly (B), and appended the previously saved poly (A). Poly A went to the midle of poly B. Then right click A, choose Set as Hole, and tried to click on B. Here I discovered a new bug and even crashed. When trying to set the hole, I press ESCAPE (in principle it should bring the system to a normal state) and I draw a tiny 3 point poly on the corner of the screen. Then I tried to repeat the process and I was able to cut the hole.

In conclusion - I will look to this bug after I finish my present work on SBuilder. I hope that a "tinny poly" could do the trick for you while I have not a corrected version of SBuilder.

Kind Regards (and thanks),

Luis