Background-Fast Zoom Problem

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
boleyd

Background-Fast Zoom Problem

Post by boleyd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:36 pm

If you zoom quickly into a background SBX will often fail to load the new tiles and just displays "1 tile remaining" with no further action.

Dick Boley near 5G8

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:20 am

Hi Dick,

I am aware of that problem. Thanks. The tile downloading is not very robust. I think that I have already post a question which is: how good (or how bad) is the cache? In other words - does the function slows down when the cache folder is full of tiles? I can not tell because I my cache folder is not that big.

I also though that I could make an update with "General Buildings" support but I was disappointed with the information I got in the Fsdeveloper forum. In few words - General Buildings have some misteries and I could not found a predicable functioning. So I put aside the revision of SBuilderX. If it did not hapenned I think that I would also had revised the tile downloading.

Sorry for all these excuses,

Regards,

Luis

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am

If you refer to the Tiles folder it is only 138mb on my system with Yahoo Satellite the biggest at 37mb. The speed is sometimes slow but at other times it is quite fast. Therefore, I do not find fault with SBX.

I use Instant Scenery and AFX for airport and object placement. Beta tester so they were free!

SBX is used for managing landclass, flattens, excludes, etc. plus the excellent ability to get photo scenery. I am currently beta testing Dreamscapes new high resolution Hawaii and Utah stuff. AFX and SBX allow me to create airports with no runways and only use the photo tiles - Hawaii at 30cm/pixel works very well with "natural" airports.

Dick Boley near 5G8

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Just a note: The Get Background program also gets the "1 tike remaining" error.

Dick Boley near 5G8

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Testing with Yahoo and Microsoft showed that, on my system, Microsoft caused the 1 tile remaining error more often. I could abuse (do bad things) to Yahoo with little problem. I had to change the area by dragging during a tile download to cause the 1 tile remaing error. It was never recoverable without reload. Did not try Google since it is useless.

I also made some changes to the TCP-IP parameters which appeared to help both sources but Microsoft remained open to error when zooming during a download of tiles.

Dick Boley near 5G8