creating bgl's with downloaded tiles

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Wizardd

creating bgl's with downloaded tiles

Post by Wizardd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm becoming quite frustrated! The tutorials are located in various places and I now find it difficult to remember where I read something and locate the info I need, seems some info is present in one tutorial but not in another...very time consuming! Problem I'm having (just one of many!) is how to make use of the 52,464 tiles I downloaded using "GetBackground.exe"...I chose a zoom of 18 of the Cape Canaveral area...I want a very high res bgl here...the tiles downloaded are jpegs but I have used Paint Shop Pro to batch convert them into bmps, as well. Question is which of these sets do I use and how do I get them to compile into one large jpeg or bmp that I can use to make the bgl? The total file size of the images (all are 256 x 256 size) is, of course; huge...but now that I have them, what can/do I do with them?

Trying to make a map from background is frustrating, as well; I want it at zoom 18 but if I zoom to that level and try to create map from background, the image I have to select from is as limited as the scope of the zoomed background image I'm looking at. When I zoom out to 15 and choose "56 x 40 at zoom = 18" I wait for a few moments as it trys to create it and then get "Cannot display maps! Map view is turn OFF!"... turn which both creates a blank bmp in my Work folder and also requires closing/reopening SBuilderX...another time consuming step. I find it necessary to delete the blank (pure white) bmp before trying to restart SBuilder as it repeats the "Cannot display maps! Map view is turn OFF!" when trying to reopen my project file.

How do I address these issues?

Thanks in advance!
Vance

meshman

Re: creating bgl's with downloaded tiles

Post by meshman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:42 am

52,464 tiles? Well... shouldn't take you more than six months, that's if you work 12 hours a day.

Those converted tiles aren't going to do you any good, so you might free up the disk space they're consuming. You could try and use them, but your INF file for Resample would be huge and you'd have to have the geodata for each of them. You could try and patch them together, but that's a ton more work. And don't think about what the effects are if you mix a couple up.

SBX will do most of the work for you, but you need to think about smaller pieces, rather than doing it in one big shot. I learned from trial and error that 1200 tiles, ie 40x30, was about the limit I could work before I got the OOM message. This meant planning out the flow of the work, attempting to keep excess areas as small as possible. If you're able to accomplish this you should end up with about 40-45 SBX Map BMP files, which will also include the geodata you'll need for Resample. If you want to shrink down the number of files, you can do this while compiling and with the INF file properly set up.

Bottomline, SBX will do the job and it's not as much work as it appears to be. Just realize you need to work in smaller steps to get to your goal.
Lance

Wizardd

Re: creating bgl's with downloaded tiles

Post by Wizardd » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:20 am

Lance, thanks for replying!

One of the problems with SBX, as I see it; is that there is not a unified, cohesive and comprehensive "owners manual"...as was stated in one of the threads I read yesterday while trying to find some answers "...SBX will do that for you, there are MANY good tutorials out there for SBX...". (The 'all caps' on 'many' was my doing, to highlight the point.)

For example: one thing suggested was to use ""GetBackground.exe" to download tiles for your area of interest, complete with a link to go get it...yet, nowhere did I find any info on how to make use of those tiles once they are downloaded...thus, I now have over 52,000 jpeg tiles (at zoom 18) that are (until I get more info about them) useless to me. I cannot use the 'get map from disk' option because that looks for a bmp...and using 'get map from background' doesn't seem to work either...? Perhaps I should move all those jpegs back to the original location (the VE tile folder)...and try the ''get map from background' option again?...will SBX use these tiles or will it try to dl it's own copies? I'd move smaller quantities, (they are numbered sequentially) but have no idea if the dl process worked across the selected area from side to side (from left to right) or from top to bottom...do you see the problem here?

I've just tried your "40 x 30" suggestion (at zoom 18 while in a zoom 15 state - you must be zoomed to at least 15 in order for a zoom 18 map option to be available), but got the OOM error message again...resulting in having to restart SBX again to clear the slate.

I've seen threads, in my search for answers; that show that many folks are having similar problems with SBX...no way to tell how many of their problems are SBX 'bug' related and how many are due to the 'scattered and diverse' tutorials issue.

Any insight to resolving problems here will be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Vance