Gravel road bug ? Editing objects problem

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Pifa20090

Gravel road bug ? Editing objects problem

Post by Pifa20090 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi,

Drawing a scenery with SBX, I met 2 problems:

1) When I draw a line and assign it the landclass "gravel 1 lane divided median", I always get a trench after compilation. So, I had to change every line of this type to "dirt 1 lane divided median" and the road was ok, I mean it was following the mesh.

I decided to make a test: I drew 4 lines with different class of gravel divided median ( 1 lane, 2 lanes, 4 lanes and 6 lanes) and 2 with gravel undivided median (1 lane and 2 lanes). I got 2 results: 1- only the gravel 1 lane divided median gave a trench compared to the 5 other lines; 2- every road with dirt 1 lane divided median that were ok before gave a trench. I found that the landclass of all these have been changed by the compiler to gravel 1 lane divided median.

So , I suppose that there is a bug with that class of road. Am I alone with this or is there somebody else who encountered this behaviour? And after thought, where do you find a gravel road with 1 lane divided in the middle !?

2) I put some objects in the scenery. Afeter working and compiling many times the project, I decided to delete those objects. But they do not appear anymore in the SBX workplace, they are not listed in the compilation project. I deleted all *.bgl related to this scenery, draw it again without the objects and compile again but they still do appear in the game. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

PF

Luis Sa

Re: Gravel road bug ? Editing objects problem

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 pm

Hello,

Problem 1 - I do not understand the word TRENCH. What do you mean? Sorry for my language.

Problem 2 - Clearly there is lost BGL file in your disk. You need to search.

Kind Regards,

Luis

meshman

Post by meshman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Luis Sa wrote:Problem 1 - I do not understand the word TRENCH. What do you mean? Sorry for my language.
Hello Luis,

Trench is a form of culvert or ravine. In this case meaning an area below the surrounding ground level. Or harking back to the FS9 days, think of the stream offset that could be used to show how far sunken they could be, compared to the surrounding area.

Lance
Lance

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:08 am

Hi,

Thank you Lance! I hope someone can explain the referred to behaviour. I think it is connected to the terrain configuration file and not with any modification that SBuilderX does.

Regards,

Luis

Pifa20090

Post by Pifa20090 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Luis,

You gave me a good hint. I found this in the terrain.cfg file:

// Roads - gravel / 1 lane / divided median
[Texture.118]
Name=Roads_Gravel_1_Lane_Divided_Median
Color=FFC00000
guid={CFB6F994-C6BB-4647-98A5-5CB9A00C8864}
LegacyId=1136
Textures=hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_hw.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_lm.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
StripWidthMeters=1
Size=2
//FlattenMode=flat
FlattenMode=offset
FlattenOffsetMeters=-15
FlattenPriority=21000
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=No
RenderPriority=101150
Water=No

I changed it for that:

[Texture.118]
Color=FFC00000
guid={CFB6F994-C6BB-4647-98A5-5CB9A00C8864}
LegacyId=1136
Textures=hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_hw.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_su.bmp,hiway_1_lane_gravel_lm.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
StripWidthMeters=10
//StripWidthMeters=1
Size=2
FlattenMode=flat
//FlattenMode=offset
//FlattenOffsetMeters=-15
FlattenPriority=21000
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
//RenderToTexture=No
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=101150
Water=No

... and it settled the problem. Notice that the change is made in the terrain.cfg file found in FSX root folder.

For the other problem, I found that some *_obx.bgl were left over. Deleting them cleared the unwanted objects in the scenery.

Thanks for your help.

PF

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello

:D That is fine!

Luis

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 am

Hi PF.

That terrain.cfg entry is not the standard... something has messed with your CFG file.

Dick
Dick

Pifa20090

Post by Pifa20090 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Rhumbaflappy,

You're right. The terrain.cfg is Richard Ludowise and Luis Féliz-Tirado file made in november 2006 and it can be found also in the SBuilderX\tools. It was recommanded to be used by... is it you !?!

:?

PF

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:27 pm

C'est gentil à toi, mais ce n'est pas vrai.

This is the relevant entry from the file that Dick and I put together:

[Texture.118]
FlattenMode=flat
FlattenPriority=21000

You will please notice that your entry has the FlattenMode commented out (//FlattenMode=flat), and replaced by an offset.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you must find somebody else to blame.

Luis

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi PF.

Luis is right... something has messed with your copy of the terrain.cfg, and it wasn't us.

There are a couple of addons that alter the terrain.cfg file, and unless you purposely changed it, one of them did the deed.

Dick
Dick

Pifa20090

Post by Pifa20090 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:36 pm

:oops:

I surely did not want to hurt your feelings both of you and I apologize if I did.

But let me straighten things out:

* You are right: the terrain.cfg file that you published and still can be found on the Net does not contain the modifications involved.
* I did not make myself those modifications. Besides, considering the results of these modifications, I would be surprised that whatever did it, was on purpose.
* It is true that I tried a lot of addons and that I have some of them installed which modify the terrain.cfg file. I made some tests today but so far, nothing altered the texture.118 section.
* Whatever did it must be widespread. For instance, the SBuilderX installer put in the SBuilderX\tools folder a instance of the terrain.cfg file, dated 07/04/07. One can find in it the faulty texture.118 section. Note: I don't say that it is SbuilderX or it's author that made the alterations, only that there may be a lot of people having the faulty file.

Sincèrement.

PF