Changing a small bit of Alaskan Coastline

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Norry

Changing a small bit of Alaskan Coastline

Post by Norry » Wed May 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi, this is my first post, I am a Newbie to Scenery construction, so apologies if my question is a bit basic. I want to alter a small part of An Alaskan coast which includes a small inlet that I want to make into a float plane base. I have made an exlude all terrain poly and replaced the ocean with a Hydro poly I have then drawn a poly aroung the coast that i want to change, and where the land joins the QMID 11 boundary I have taken the poly down the QMID 11 boundary to where it joins up with the coast again, I then made this poly into a hole. This works OK as far as it goes but I am left with a great cleft in the land running down the QMID boundary and I am not sure where to go from here. Am I taking the right approach to this problem? If not could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Norry

Luis Sa

Re: Changing a small bit of Alaskan Coastline

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 am

Hello Norry,

May be someone can explain this better. My native language is not English and I do not exactly know what you mean by cleft. And may be you could draw a picture.

The present beta version slices polygons along any Qmid lines and a polygon can completely fill a Qmid Quad. If you explain me the problem with a possible drawing and if I confirm that the present version can help you, I will send it if you want.

Best Regards,

Luis

Norry

Post by Norry » Thu May 28, 2009 6:01 am

Hello Luis, many thank for getting back to me so quickly, I am using Sbuilder X version 3.10. I have attached a spot view in FSX of the area I am working on. I hope this will explain things much better than words. The long straight split in the land is not supposed to be there, it is the right hand edge of my "hole making poly"

Alaskan Coast Split.jpg
FSX Spot view
Alaskan Coast Split.jpg (7.6 KiB) Viewed 31362 times

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

Hello,

Could you please post, as well, a screenshot of the SBuilderX display, with Grid Lines ON and showing your polygons so that I can have a more complete understanding of the problem?

Regards,

Luis

Norry

Post by Norry » Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 pm

I attach 2 shots of my project. Just for a bit of background I have done several tutorials mostly dealing with Airports, and one tutorial which dealt with the modification of St Barthelemy in the Carribean. None of these
deals with changing only a part of a coast. To ease myself into my project I started with what I know and modified a small island which can be seen in the top right corner of the first screen shot. I first made a poly over the island and gave it the "Exclude all terrain" property, I then made a poly covering the entire QMID 11, I then made a detailed poly of the island and declared it as a hole. I was very pleased with myself when the island showed up in FSX. The result of this was of course that parts of the coast lower down the QMid 11 block had disappeared, and it was my attempt to replace this area (seen halfway down on the right in the first shot, and filling the second shot) that I came upon this problem. Using the "Island" method outlined above does restore the missing coast but it does not join up with the default FSX scenery, leaving the large split in the FSX scenery which I showed in a previous post. Am I using the right approach to this problem of changing a part of a coastline, or should I be looking at an entirely different approach. Once again, thanks for your time Luis

Regards

Norry

Alaskan Coast Split002.jpg
Alaskan Coast Split002.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 31339 times
Alaskan Coast Split003.jpg

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Thu May 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Hello Norry,

I hope someone enters this discussion... when you add the little exclude all polygon the whole Quad switches to land. Right? Then you make a full quid water poly. Right? Then you open holes on that full quad for the land to appear again. Could you not extend the the holes? For example it should go more to the right for the stripe of water to disappear.

Send me a private email and I can send you a version that does those polygons around the qmid borders automatically.

Regards,

Luis

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sat May 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Could you attach a zipped file of an exported SBuilderX SBX file? This is a text file that will rebuild your project... we can use it to reconstruct the problem. This is not the saved project file( .SBP ) , but an exported SBX file.

Dick
Dick

Norry

Post by Norry » Sat May 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi Dick
thank you for taking an interest in my little problem, what with Luis and now you, I am feeling very honoured with all the high powered attention. I hope you can throw some light on why this gash appears in the coast line. If it can be solved then I will be able to carry on creating my float plane bases in Alaska, If a solution is not possible then I think I will have to abandon my project. I don't think in all concience that I could devastate the beautiful Alaskan coutry by leaving huge chasm's in the landscape. 8)

Kind Regards

Norry
Normans Alaskan coast project.ZIP
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 1389 times

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat May 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Hello Norry,

Please make the hole on the right quad border as shown on this video:

http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilderx/videos/normans.swf

If that works please tell us.

Regards, Luis

Norry

Post by Norry » Sun May 31, 2009 2:27 pm

Brilliant, that works perfectly, thank you both so much for your help, I have learned so much from struggling with this little problem, but I am aware of how much there is yet to learn. Anyway my float plane base can now go ahead. Thanks again.

All the best

Norry

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sun May 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi all.

This is a great example of slicing in the new version!

In the old version, making a hole at the edge of a poly didn't work right, as you found out Norry. In the old version, rather than making a hole, you would simply make a hand-traced poly of the water shape, with no holes.

With the new version, the video shows a great solution... make the poly large enough to encompass the land, then slice and discard the excess polys, to give a neat quad 11 area.

Dick
Dick

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 31, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi Norman and Dick,

Norman - I am very happy that you can reshape your beautiful Alaskan coastlines.

Dick - I am also very happy that the effort made in slicing polygons with holes was worth it. I must confess that, when you suggested it, I was not really sure how it could be applied.

Norman - May be you could edit one of your previous posts and add the picture that shows the cut along the qmid border (the one you sent me by private email).

Regards,

Luis

Norry

Post by Norry » Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 pm

Yes Luis the project is underway. Just a short explanation of what I was trying to do. There is a small bay in Alaska that I wanted to shape more accurately, the coast in the default scenery is all straight lines and looks awfull. The minimum area that can be modified is Qmid 11 which is quite a bit larger than my little area of interest, this meant that areas of the coast south of my bay needed to be re instated. One particular headland was partly in my Qmid and partly in the adjacent one to the east. Using SBuilderX 3.10 I shaped the headland and made it a hole with the easter boundary running as accuratly as I could make it down the Qmid boundary. No matter what I tried I could not get my bit of the head land to join up with the default scenery, there was a large gap between the two, as can be seen in the attached photo's. If you follow the previous post's you will see that using the latest (beta) version of SbuilderX you are able to overlap qmid boudaries create your holes and then slice off the unwanted bit, giving a result where you can't see the join. Brilliant.

All the best

Norry
Alaskan Coast Split004.jpg
Alaskan Coast Split005.jpg