Combining Tiles at Higher Resolution

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
hcornea

Combining Tiles at Higher Resolution

Post by hcornea » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:17 am

Luis .. this may already be planned or implemented in your current SBuilder development.

Is it possible for SBuilder to combine tiles at a higher Zoom level over a larger area.

Currently the photoscenery or Save GeoTiff only processes the area displayed on the screen at the appropriate zoom level of the display.

It is frequently desirable to capture an area of an entire airfield at Zoom17 or Zoom18 - which currently has to be done manually, then all the GeoTiffs combined.

Is there (could there be) an easy way to specify an area, and a zoom level, and have Sbuilder combine the tiles it has at that Zoom level into a single image of appropriate resolution.

Many thanks..

Luis Sa

Re: Combining Tiles at Higher Resolution

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello,

Yes, such idea is already implemented. I will add your username to a testing group on SBuilderX 313. Next time time you login in this forum you will see the group and you can download the latest build.

Regards,

Luis

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:22 am

Hello,

Did you experiment it?

Regards, Luis

hcornea

Post by hcornea » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi Luis,

My apologies, I've been away on vacation.

Before leaving I have installed the beta313 version (up to revision E from memory)

I did not find the way to "stitch" high resolutions of photoreal greater than the screen area.

In the past, I have panned around, saving each screen as a GeoTiff - then used GlobalMapper to combine into a single GeoTiff image of high resolution.

I must be missing the point somewhere, I think, because I don't seem to be able to automtically combine a larger area than a single screen.

It would certainly be a wonderful feature, as most of the airport backgrounds are larger than a single screen.

EDIT: (Hopefully this is of more use)

On attempting to "Add Map from BackGround" - a couple of problems arise:

Initially - if I try to do this while there are still tiles downloading, I get the appropriate dialog asking me to try again when the tiles have loaded. When the tiles have loaded - I get the dialog box "Unable to make Background Image". This persists until I restart SBXbeta313, and then tiles can be sombined.

When I attempt to Select Properties and "Save GeoTif" - I get an "Out Of Memory" error. (I am running Vista64 with 6Gb of Onboard RAM) I suspect that this latter error is related to the size of the PR image (massive) at 52 x 43 (Zoom 18) tiles.

It has however combined the images into a .bmp and accompanying text file, which I can put into GlobalMapper - so in some ways this is good enough. It would be nice not to get the OOM errors