Tunnel definition

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
cyana

Tunnel definition

Post by cyana » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 am

Dear all,

seems this has not been covered before - the default scenery of FSX draws the highways of my home district across the mountains instead of hiding them away, what ends up in a very odd appearance. So I felt to fix this with exclude polygons would be a good idea. However, the result is not what I expected - the excluded parts of the highway are much larger than the polygon, regardless of its size.

I've learned from the web, that exclude polygons should actually remove the entire highway, so they are not useful for tunnels. Is there any other method of defining tunnels ?

thank you
cyana

Luis Sa

Re: Tunnel definition

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 am

Hello,

Is your area really big? If not you could recreate the roads. You could take a screenshot (top down view) to create a map that you would add into SBuilderX. Or you could use one of the tile serves to guide you. However the final solution would be interrupted segments. Traffic could not enter the mountain and come out on the other end of the tunnel.

May be someone has a better idea!

Edited: one more thing - you will need to reconstruct a whole qmid11 Quad as the exclusion has effect on whole quad

Regards,

Luis

cyana

Post by cyana » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:15 am

Hello Luis,

thank you very much for your quick reply ! Amazingly, only a few kilometers from the highway are stripped, that could be easily recreated. The bigger problem is the traffic, that still travels over the mountains, making the appearance even stranger *ggg*.

The easiest way would be to import the standard scenery vectors into SBuilderX and redraw the needed sections. Is there a way to bring a cvxXXXX.bgl into SBuilder ?

thanks
Cyana

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:08 pm

cyana wrote: The easiest way would be to import the standard scenery vectors into SBuilderX and redraw the needed sections. Is there a way to bring a cvxXXXX.bgl into SBuilder ?
Cyana
Hello,

Unfortunately I do not know how to decompile the cvx file :cry:

Best Regards, Luis

cyana

Post by cyana » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:13 am

Hello Luis,

searched the web for a suitable decompiler, however the bgl2xml tool does not work with cvx files. I also found bglxml, this seems to decompile the cvx, however the result is remarkably smaller than the original bgl file. Also I could not import the xml into SBuilderX, but I guess there should be another tool that converts xml to shp (?)

Anyway, I'll try a different approach with capturing the shapes from the tmfviewer and importing as background bitmap into SBuilderX

best greetings
Cyana

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi Cyana.

There are no vector decompilers ( "cvx" ). Most scenery designers would prefer to use satellite or aerial images as backgrounds, because the default FSX vectors are subject to positional errors. For example, why have accurate traffic on inaccurately placed roads?

In addition to background imagery, there are sometimes vector data available on the web, and SBuilderX allows the importation of ESRI shp files, a commonly used type, available from many sources. Sometimes these sources are more accurate than the default lines.

If you still want to use TMFViewer, turn on the grid lines to help you geo-reference the captured image.

Also, Luis maintains a website to view and capture background images:

http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps.htm

...and these have the geographic referencing available.

Dick
Dick

cyana

Post by cyana » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 am

Hello rhumbaflappy,

thank you very much for your reply and the useful link. Actually, I would need the default cvx as reference only to find the accurate positions of the stripped parts of the highway. Also it would be useful to figure out, what structures are already there (and possibly are wrong) and which things (roads, railways, rivers, lakes ... ) you have to add.

greetings
Cyana