A Question of Elevations

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
falcon409

A Question of Elevations

Post by falcon409 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:12 am

Take a very simple default airport with the typical rectangular airport boundary texturing. Using SBuilderX 3.13 I draw a small AB_boundaryexclude poly on one end which takes out the rectangle ("0" elevation). Next, using a background image of the actual airport and with FSX running as reference for position I draw in the new airport background poly ("0" elevation). Now I select the poly's, compile, move the bgl into the addon scenery/scenery folder in FSX. Next, I open up AFX, load the AFCAD then go back to FSX to get the correct field elevation (in meters). I input that number into both the rwy elevation menu and the airport properties menu. Save in AFX and close. Now I close FSX. . . .reopen FSX and load the airport:

Results:
The tacky rectangle is gone. . .good
The new airport boundary layout is in place. . .better
The taxi ways and parking ramp are in place and small roads that I added look right. . .terrific
The rwy looks like it's half submerged. . .oh great

So, what determines the correct elevation for the rwy to sit firmly on the ground? Is the information input into the AFX program or something I'm missing inSBX? By the way, I tried various elevation settings for the rwy and airport, none of which had any effect whatsoever on the elevation in the sim.

Luis Sa

Re: A Question of Elevations

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi,

I can not add more than Dick did on the post close to this one. I am not sure if that has to do with the earth curvature that was not present in FS9.

Best Regards, Luis

falcon409

Post by falcon409 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Luis,

First of all, I don't know who Dick is. . . .also, what post are you talking about and I'll go check that one out for a possible answer.

meshman

Post by meshman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Ed, it's your posting right below this thread; http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1687

From the sounds of things, the steps you're taking are creating the problems. Your new airport background that you draw should be set to the airport's elevation in meters. You're trying to set an elevation from within an airport editor and that doesn't work, unless certain steps are done beforehand. An airport's elevation is set by the very first record FSX or FS9 finds and no amount of tinkering will change that. So if the default APX file says the elevation is 22 feet nothing you do in AFX or ADE or FSX Planner will change that to be 19 feet. ADE does have the ability to alter elevations, in that it creates what's termed a "stub file" that gets placed in a folder that is read before the default APX file. Since the stub file says 19 feet, when the APX file gets read at 22 feet it doesn't matter, it's already set in FSX.

So if you're trying to change an airport's elevation, it needs to be done before you do the airport editing or terrain work. SOH has a scenery forum, I will attempt to assist you there to a point. Your previous visit to Luis' forums left a bad taste in my mouth and after your declaration never to return, it saddens me to see you posting here; http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1534
Lance

falcon409

Post by falcon409 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm

I'll take the information and see if I can correct my problems. I'll also take your advice Lance and find help elsewhere in the future. :roll: