Blank tiles with Google Server

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
soulmaril

Blank tiles with Google Server

Post by soulmaril » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi,

I am getting blank tiles with google sever selected. Sometimes I am able to see the tiles but this is random. In status bar sbuilderx report that tiles are being downlaoded and I can see them in tile cache but cant see them in user gui.

meshman

Re: Blank tiles with Google Server

Post by meshman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I don't look to use Google much, instead choosing from Yahoo or Virtual Earth. If I can get some from Google, it's short-lived. Seems their latest approach is to intermix normal tiles with white tiles, giving a checkerboard effect.
Lance

soulmaril

Post by soulmaril » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am

I also prefer virtual earth but google's coverage is better. Espacially when I intend to do something outside US or EU I eventually ask for google.

chewbee

Post by chewbee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi,

Google never worked for me !

I use virtual earth but the detail is realy bad

Is there a possible solution ?

many thanks

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:59 pm

It's always a good idea to do a search of the forum to avoid repeated queries of an issue already discussed.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1656

There's nothing more to add. The problem is with Google, and they do this intentionally to prevent 3rd party apps from using their licensed imagery. The above post describes a work-around.

Dick
Dick

chewbee

Post by chewbee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:22 pm

rhumbaflappy wrote:It's always a good idea to do a search of the forum to avoid repeated queries of an issue already discussed.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1656

There's nothing more to add. The problem is with Google, and they do this intentionally to prevent 3rd party apps from using their licensed imagery. The above post describes a work-around.

Dick
Thank you very much for your pointer but I am "not allowed to read that forum"

and sorry for this post but if google does not work why keeping the choice ?
also I use FSX planner with google so .... isn't it possible to do the same ?

many thanks

chewbee

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:25 pm

If you are able to switch your internet ISP to a different number, you can then continue downloading tiles. For most users, this isn't possible.

Alternately, Google's ban on your ISP is not normally permanent, so in a few days, you can continue downloading new tiles.

The ability to download tiles is great feature of SBuilderX, but Luis has no control over the image providers. Early versions of the original SBuilder didn't have this problem with the severity it now has. Google is much more aggressive in blocking tile downloads.

Dick
Dick

shedman51

Post by shedman51 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:31 am

Try using virtual earth down to layer 12 to create your background then take a screenshot from real Google Earth, clean it up then import the bmp as a map and edit the title from "map" to "photo". You then have to use your pointer to get the correct latitude and longitude and manually edit the coordinates to match the layer 12 background. It's a bit fiddly but I do that all the time now because I can't change my ISP number. Remember to use panels that would be less than layer 14 in size or they will play up in the simulator. I can do screenshots 3840 x 1024 pixels so you can email me with top left and bottom right coordinates. alan@alanblencowe.com It's great for north-south or east-west runways but others use a bit more memory. I have a picture here of a Virtual Earth panel with a Google Earth section on the side where the scenery was not available. http://www.alanblencowe.com/FSX/FSX_DesignPage.htm (Tinting required)