Canals

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
hefy_jefy

Canals

Post by hefy_jefy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 am

Hi all,

I just noticed that the Los Angeles aqueduct is completely missing from FSX, it seems to have been replaced by a railway!
Any thoughts on how to create something like that? Whats needed is an extrudable texture like a road filled with water.
Stream Lines won't work (too wiggly) and you couldn't create a water poly.
I guess you could create a Gmax object but that would be tedious

Answers on a postcard...

Geoff

luisfeliztirado

Re: Canals

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:40 am

Hello Geoff,

Is that the L.A. river? A friend from there clued me in once when I asked him about all those movies with car chases in an empty canal.

Why not just use either custom ground textures (photo-real) or Textured Polygons?

Best regards.
Luis

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Geoff.

Make a line of the width you want. Then right-click on the line and choose Convert to Poly. You now have a poly of the right width, and can assign a water type to it.

Dick
Dick

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Good solution, Dick. The river is mostly dry, except in case of rain when it accumulates some puddles, so it is probably better to choose the cement texture instead of one of the water textures. The concrete channel is used essentially for flood control, so there isn't normally much water running through it, I think, especially as it reaches the mouth.
la_river1.jpg
la_river2.jpg
la_river3.jpg
You may remember the "river" from one of its many appearances in car chases, such as in the Terminator (and many other) films.

Best regards.

Luis

N.B. I hope that Geoff means the river and not the aqueduct!

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 am

Hi guys,

Been away and only just read these replys - thanks!

The poly might work, will let you know.

Its actually the aqueduct - runs almost the whole length of the Owens valley starting from Mono Lake and provides Los Angeles with much of its water - quite a significant feature i was a little surprised to find it was missing!

Happy Christmas BTW...

Geoff

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:04 am

Oops!

Wrong valley and its called the California Aqueduct... it runs alongside Interstate 5 for much of its length and the channel is about 35m wide, with the banks its getting on for a 80m wide linear feature that's about 200miles long. Always has water.

Quite a significant omission... I wonder how long a poly I can make?

Watch this space.

Geoff

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:31 am

Hey, works just fine!

See attached (that's Harris Ranch 3O8) and Interstate 5 in the foreground...

Only another 200 miles to go... :roll:

Geoff
Attachments
Image1.jpg

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Update to Dick's method...

On closer inspection the canal has concrete banks of course - so make a line (its about 75m wide) then convert to a poly, and make it water. Now copy and paste, convert the new poly back to a line and make that line be a single track gravel road...

Works quite well... (see attached, Los Banos reservoir in the background)

Geoff
Attachments
Image2.jpg

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 am

Looks great, Geoff. Congratulations.

Best regards.
Luis

hefy_jefy

Post by hefy_jefy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:41 am

Thanks Luis,

As usual this turned into a major project. On the way south I came across airfields that needed "Tweaking" and of course when the aqueduct gets to the mountains there are some major pumping stations (see attached)... -first time I used a sloping Poly.

Another week of my life wasted on scenery design!

Happy New Year.

Geoff
Attachments
Image2.jpg

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 am

Sweet work, Geoff. If I had $1.00 for every time I've been up or down I-5 I would be a happy man.

Now to figure out how to do the crop dusters that work the fields along the way. I'd just sit and watch in amazement as they would go about their work. And I saw you worked on Harris Ranch, any chance of the cow farm a little further north??? Strong wind from the west preferred... :lol:
Lance