Feature Suggestion - Setting Altitudes in a Poly

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
hcornea

Feature Suggestion - Setting Altitudes in a Poly

Post by hcornea » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Dear Luis,

A thought struck me, whilst doing some flattens - which I'm posting here as a "feature-suggestion".
(As with most of these things there may be a way of doing this I hadn't realised.)

To make a flatten blend with the surrounding terrain without "terracing", it is usually necessary to create a sloping flatten around it to meet the surrounding mesh altitude. I do this manually at present, using Dick's TcalcX to obtain Ground altitude, and manually altering the altitude of points on my Polygon to correspond.

It would be wonderful if SbuilderX could use a combination of "Fly Aircraft to this point" with the Simconnect/FSUIPC Ground altitude values to set the altitude of EVERY point in a polygon to the corresponding altitude of the mesh in the sim at each point. Thus, you could create a seamless edge to the flatten, without terracing. From there, it would be easy for the user to modify the other points on the polygon to meet the desired flat altitude.

To my non-programming brain, it seems that most of the elements to achieve this are already present - and would just need to be "scripted together".

meshman

Re: Feature Suggestion - Setting Altitudes in a Poly

Post by meshman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Greets Ian,

I do something like you describe, in that using TCalcX to position to the point and then right-clicking again to get data from the airplane with the Point From Aircraft option. Elevation data will be filled and and I just need to click OK.
Lance

hcornea

Re: Feature Suggestion - Setting Altitudes in a Poly

Post by hcornea » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks Lance ...

I guess I'm coming from the notion that the computer should do the work ... not make me do it!!

Basically, if SBX could script for each point:

FlyTo ...
Set Point from Plane,

and then move to the next point.

It would be relatively easy to implement, and INCREDIBLY time saving ... when blending flattens to the surrounding mesh.

In addition ... being able to apply an offset (eg reduce every point by a given number of metres) to every point in the poly automatically would be a useful function.

In case you are wondering, I am thinking riverbanks / cliffs and shorelines.