Vector Landclass land use

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Claviateur

Vector Landclass land use

Post by Claviateur » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any database online for landclass or land use in vector (.shp) format or any other vectorial format I can convert and open in SbuilderX ?

I have already access to bitmap type of landclass using color tones for the classes but what I am looking for is vector polygons for cities, villages etc... something similar to what Openstreetmap offers for some countries except that my region does not have any landuse data in openstreetmap

Thanks for the help
Regards
Michel

luisfeliztirado

Re: Vector Landclass land use

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 am

Hello Michel,

Definitely, this type of data can be found in that format:
bergen county land use land cover.JPG

This is the State of New Jersey, although I do not suppose that is your area of interest. It all depends on your project, evidently.

Best regards.
Luis

Claviateur

Post by Claviateur » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi Luis,

Yes this is exactly what I need! But for the country of Lebanon in the middle east, I know it is tough to find anything for it but I am looking around.

The data you show does it come from a free ressource somewhere I can check?

Thnks
Michel

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

Hello Michel,

The U.S.A. is in the forefront in providing this sort of data for free on the Internet. The New Jersey data comes from the official State web site, where the State G.I.S. department can be accessed. So that is no help for you.

Outside of the U.S. and some parts of Europe (perhaps Australia, I don't know), it can be difficult, if not impossible to find this sort of data.

Best regards.
Luis