SBuilder 3.13 is broken

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
degt

SBuilder 3.13 is broken

Post by degt » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I downloaded this after reading much tutorials out there. In the past I had problems with it but I decided to give it a try with this "new" version.

Unfortunately I found a series of drawbacks like it requiring administrative rights. I went around it with a trick (that a user shouldn't be in the need to do). But I see the program is broken.

I followed the instructions, created a new project, set the home coordinates for the project (central america) and then selected Google Earth Satellite as my tile source. I can only see global map but when I zoom in I only see a message in the status bar saying it is downloading 35 tiles or so. But in the end the screen shows WHITE, no map, no background (and yes, I set the Show Background property as well as the Show All Maps property).

If I switch to other servers it downloads something visible, but in some only street map (gross or unavailable), and the only one that downloaded satellite imagery (Yahoo or Virtual Earth) the detail was useless when compared to the detailed map I see when using the Google Earth application.

I also tried using the GoogleServer.dll that is somewhere on this forum but same result.

meshman

Re: SBuilder 3.13 is broken

Post by meshman » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

degt wrote: But I see the program is broken.
After reading this and the comments in another thread I have to wonder if I don't know you from FS Developer?

Vista and Win 7 introduced protections, many of which the common user does not know how to deal with. Simple solution to the installation problems with the \Program Files folder is not to use these folder. Installing into C:\SbuilderX works fine and does not need to get a computer owner involved in the messy protections of Vista or Win 7.

The functionality of SBuilderX is not broken. Should a tile server make their product unavailable it is not the responsibility of the designer of SBuilderX to try and find some method to circumvent the protections put into place by the tile server. There is a handy method to download some tile data from any of the servers. One such product is linked here at this site, another is available at the FS Developer site.

SBuilderX is, for most all users, a free product. Developed by people who want to see the community of Flight Simulation improved. These are not professional programmers, but people who do this with a passion and a willingness to share. There are the extremely unfortunate occasions where someone will download, install and try to use the product without taking any time to understand the process involved with scenery work in FSX. Their frustrations then manifest into unjustifiable comments at a support forum, cloaked in the anonymity that the internet can provide.

Just remember, if you aren't happy with SBuilderX you can always ask for your money back! :lol:
Lance

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 am

Sorry, Lance, to correct you. There is a money-back guaranty, as you rightly mention, but the product must be returned unopened in its original package :lol:

Best regards.
Luis

degt

Post by degt » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Nope you don't know me but that is beside the point.

I believe I mentioned in the post that I tried to create a background picture but it refused to load the Google Earth tile. I know GE server is working because I can use GE on my PC, I can also use Google maps and download the tiles. So I believe it is the GoogleEarth.dll (or something like that) that is broken, or is that developed by a 3rd party?

I basically need to develop custom ground textures OR photoreal background, the 1st being more important because the default FSX vegetation and landclasses are just plain wrong for this part of the globe I am working on.

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 am

degt wrote:Nope you don't know me but that is beside the point.
My mistake. Age does that to a person, mistaken identity syndrome. But you're having problems, so let's try to help!

If, say for example, you had 20 years of programming experience, then taking the source code that is in a posting a little higher up and modifying it to circumvent the safeguards that Google has implemented might get you (and maybe the rest of us?) a working .DLL to add to SBX? Otherwise, Google tracks access and shuts down an IP after very minimal activity. My methods any more are to use one of the other sat servers, right up to the point that I absolutely need to use GE for a background image. Only way I know of, unless you try the Rhumba maps utility that is stickied somewhere at FS Developer or the Google Earth window here at the PTSim site, that Luis was nice enough to set up for everyone to use. Then you can use a screen shot tool like Fire Shot within Firefox to capture the screen/window contents. It also provides coordinates for the screen grab, so that you can import the map into SBX.

If, say for example, you wanted to redo Panama to make better textures appear, it's possible. But not entirely easy. You can make any called land class texture be whatever you want it to be, with autogen exactly how you want it. All this work gets placed into it's own scenery folder, with the textures maintaining their original naming conventions, build a new land class file for, say Panama and it will be what ever you want it to be. That is not an easy or small task to complete. But it can be done.
Lance

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:20 am

I have made a new version of the GoogleServer.dll in the above sticky post.

It works for me... at least until Google blocks it.

SBuilderX was written using WindowsXP and VB.net 2.0, and was Luis' first major foray into the .NET world. I don't view it as broken... I view it as a miracle! Very impressive work.

Vista and Windows7 were not available at it's conception, and Luis was moving from the old VB6 world.

Dick
Dick